• Register Today It's free!

Wife hears a rattle...

PrinceValium

Reaction score
City, State
Vacaville, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
Welp...after driving around in the EX last night my wife has tuned in her bionic hearing to a rattle somewhere on her new vehicle. Somewhere in the cab by the passenger seating area. The funny part is she came out of that G37S convertible where EVERYTHING rattled for the top assembly to one that should be super quiet. Unfortunately for me now I am tasked to finding it.

When she said do you hear that I couldn't help myself and said in my best impersonation, "It's a strange squeaking sound." (Christmas Vacation fans will remember that line).

The fun part is that I am "hearing challenged" and will have a fun time locating said rattle. Wish me luck! :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's coming from the door panel on the passenger side. I have it in my car, fortunately the hearing in my right ear is not so good, so I just ignore it.

I've got something similar going on with our 16 sport. Cant determine exactly where its coming from. Its got 700 miles on it. Going to take it in Monday morning, its driving me crazy.

Try taking a look at the glove compartment. They are know to rattle on the explorers.

Try taking a look at the glove compartment. They are know to rattle on the explorers.

I tend to agree with this since mine had the same problem. Sometimes one latch will engage before the other one does so you have to push one side up further after hearing the first latch engage which will take car of the problem. However, if both latches are engaging then applying weather stripping on each vertical side of the glove box also mitigates the squeak noise.

Ok thanks all I will start by looking in those areas. Sometimes finding these things can take forever. It may be easier if she lets me DRIVE it!...lol

Guys, I had something of a rattle only when going over very rough roads (typical for some of NYC local) Was driving me nuts and the dealer couldn't find it. It so happens that after a small accident the passenger window needed to be replaced - and lo and behold the rattle isn't there anymore. My guess is the two hooks at the bottom of the window somehow was loose causing the rattle. I'll try to post a pic of what I am talking about soon. I am sure you guys can trouble shoot that easily.

It's not the glove box, it's in the door panel. I suspect it's the window mechanism.

It's not the glove box, it's in the door panel. I suspect it's the window mechanism.

That night it did seem like it was coming from the passenger door area.

That night is did seem like it was coming from the passenger door area.
To ensure it isn't the glove box door, the next time you drive leave that door open to see if the noise goes away.

Peter

We also get a rattle out of the rear left passenger side area as well. Not sure if it is from the 2nd or 3rd row seat area. I can't pinpoint it. I thought at first it was the seat belts rubbing but latching them all did not stop the rattle.

Also have a rattle in the front passenger seat / dash area. I thought it was coming from the dash but maybe I'll check out the door panel next.

Anybody check to see if its the sunglasses in the sunglass compartment?

No sunglasses and it's not coming from there on mine. It's closer towards the windshield from my hearing which is scary good lol.

No sunglasses and it's not coming from there on mine. It's closer towards the windshield from my hearing which is scary good lol.
Have you checked to see if the cowl is loose?

Peter

I have the rattle at the base of the windshield on the passenger side, I turn on the wipers and it goes away.

For some reason when this thread 'Wife hears a rattle' comes up, I automatically think of Horton Hears a Who? Thanks alot PrinceValium. :D

Peter

Have you checked to see if the cowl is loose?

Peter

Very quickly, I need to evaluate it some more. One thing I did notice the plastic panels when you pop the hood right near the cowl, they just bounce and hit the pinch weld seam in the motor compartment. Anyone have any issue with that making noise that can be heard from inside? Just not sure it would be audible from inside. Still might look into getting something to stop it from bouncing around on the painted surface..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For some reason when this thread 'Wife hears a rattle' comes up, I automatically think of Horton Hears a Who? Thanks alot PrinceValium. :D

Peter

You are welcome!:D

Back