• Register Today It's free!

Wife is tired of sweating

tlutz211

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT 4x4 4.0 sohc
Ok let's try this one more time... Ac blows cold however the clutch on the compressor will intermittently disengage causing (of course) the system to blow outside temperature air... The problem can be temporarily rectified by popping the hood and banging the clutch with a pair of pliers or something while it's supposed to be on and then it will suddenly engage and start cooling. Ideas? Easy fix? Replace whole clutch or get by with just the clutch coil? And can anyone point me to a thread about "ac clutch how to?" thanks guys, holla back. Lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yo! Yeah you... Help me out here.

Check the clutch...

Sounds like the air gap between the hub and outer plate is too big...The gap should be .025" and the gap cqan be adjusted with thin washers that are used as shims...If the clutch plate is burned up though you will need to replace the clutch and still adjust the gap when you install the new clutch...

Did you check to see if it had enough R134 in the system? Clutch cycling is a sign of low fluid pressure. Of course when mine have been low I have never tried to bang on the clutch to get it to work. When the ac clutches I have had go out they were noisey first. Just my thoughts.

Freon is fine, it doesn't cycle on and off like when low, when energized but not engaged, it is still highly magnetic, just takes a tap, almost like something needs to be lubed cuz it's stuck, ranger, could u point me in the direction of a link on how to adjust it? Thanks guys

Back