Wilderness AT Replacement? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wilderness AT Replacement?

Alright, I need to find a replacement tire for Wilderness AT that they put on my girlfriend's Explorer. She had the recall tires on her '99 XLS 2wd and they put on non-recall AT's. AHHHHH I just need to find a good replacement tire. Stock size or close -no offroading something that rides smooth and looks good for a reasonable price. Could a BFG AT KO work? How do they ride/handle on the road. If not maybe the BFG Radial T/A. Any imput would be great.

Any more info on an expanded recall? Or thoughts on if it will happen or not

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would say that if she isn't going to use them at all off road, you should go with the BFG Radial Longtrails. I think the All Terrain KO's would be a little loud for her. They still look the best though. Good luck with your decision. Oh yeah, the Longtrails have incredible treadlife too.

I run the longtrails. I am very happy with them and would highly recommend them!

Thanks guys, how is the highway ride w/ them and ballpark price?
Thanks again

I've heard that the highway ride is smooth as glass and that they last forever. Price wise, I think they are a little cheaper than the KO's, but I'm not exactly sure.

I think they are some where around $89 each fo rthe stock size, but that is around the ball park. The KO's are around a $100.

I'm am also going to be replacing the Firestone Wilderness AT on my truck. Tires I am considering are:
Goodyear GS-A
Goodyear RT/S
Goodyear AT/S
BFG Radial Longtrail
Michelin LTX AT

but I dont know which tire to choose.

I like my Pirelli Scorpion AT's. Fairly quiet on the road, real good in the wet and aggressive enough tread for off road. Probably not as good for that purpose as the KO's, but better suited for everyday driving. And the price is pretty good too, $69/tire at Discount Tire.

If your going to stay on road most of the time, the michelin LTX MS is very popular and recomended. It is quiet and has good tread wear. Michelin has also just come out with a new tire for mostly on-road applications. It is called the Cross-Terrain and has a similar tread pattern to the LTX. They are being used on many new SUV's. I bought a set from tirerack. They are very quiet and give much better traction in all respects compared to the Wilderness tires. They also have an aggressive looking sidewall that makes it look better. They are more expensive than the LTX, but they have a longer tire wear rating of UTQG 520.

I love the Michelins I got at Sears. They are the equivalent to the LTX M+S. 60K wear, but pricy at ~$120. Sears runs sales all the time though. You can get the equivalent to the Michelin LTX AT there also, and they are slightly cheaper. Frankly, any tire you put on will probably perform 10X better than the Crapstones.

I was amazed at the difference in smoothness and road noise with the Michelins compared to the Crapstones. They are also great in rain/snow (although with 2wd I hope you don't see to much of the white stuff). We got 15" here in NY 2 weeks ago and my wife went out in the peak of the storm and had no problems whatsoever. I went out playing in the snow later that night and the tires performed great.

Another possiblity is the Bridgestone Dueler series. They make an HT, APT, & A/T. I've used three sets of the A/T's, got an average of 70K miles a set out of them, and was completely satisfied with their performance.

My wife has a set of HT's on her Grand Cherokee, and they wear like iron and perform extremely well in all areas, as well as look good.

The Bridgestones are priced usually a little cheaper than the BFG's.

Most go with the BFG's, and with good reason, since they are a good tire. But I think there are other tires out there that are equally as good, or better.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Michelin buy BFG a few years ago? Not that that makes any difference in anything. Bridgestone has owned Firestone for some time now, and the problems with the Firestone tires have nothing to do with the Bridgestone line. Just corporate structure, I guess.

Any tire is better than the firestones. I have the michelin ltx at's, they are great, smooth ride, great treadwear, and perform excelent in the rain. But you will pay for them (over 120 each). The best tire for the price is the yokohama geolander at. Excellent in the rain

i too think the bridgestones are a good tire BUT bridgestone bought firestone! allthough i have never heard of bridges taking a poop on ya but they are the same company FYI

Bridgestone has owned Firestone for some time now. I've owned two sets of Bridgestone's since they bought Firestone, and have been completely and totatlly satisfied. Great tire, period! Don't compare Bridgestone's tires to Firestone, they are totatlly different.

Back