Will 2002 Ford Explorer Sport 4x4 wheels fit my new 2002 XLT 4x4 Ranger? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will 2002 Ford Explorer Sport 4x4 wheels fit my new 2002 XLT 4x4 Ranger?

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport 4.0V6
I bought a 2002 XLT 4x4 Ranger to replace my 250,000 mile 2002 Ford Explorer Sport 4x4 . The Ranger came with mud tires that I don't really like. They are too loud and to be honest I never go mudding. My 2002 Explorer has the stock rims and some tires that have some life left in them. I want to put those on my Ranger for the time being. I am going to junk the explorer (not worth to fix two massive coolant leaks at front gasket cover and thermostat housing). Would stock 2002 Ford Explorer Sport wheels fit on my 2002 Ranger? They are both 4x4. They both have the 5 wheel studs. They both have the 4.0 SOHC. Thank you in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2002 explorer sport certainly.

2002 explorer sport certainly.
I was looking online and I was learning about things like offset. Will the Ranger be dangerous with Explorer wheels? Also, the rear has drum brakes on the Ranger and my Explorer does not. Will that matter?

To the best of my knowledge, the same wheels were used on both explorer sport and Ranger for 2002 in certain trims.

The Ranger and Explorer 4-door SUV were pretty much the same, axle-wise, right up to the 2002 model year, but the 2-door Sport and the Sport Trac pickup continued to share axle essentials with the Ranger up through the 2003 and 2005 model years, respectively.

I think the real differences lie in whether you're looking at 2wd or 4wd, but since they are both 4wd, you should be a direct swap across.

As far as the ranger being dangerous, I wouldn't be worried about it, but make sure your ranger is in good working order.

Just wanted to post an update for future generations. The wheels fit perfectly. The truck is safe. Funny story, the rumbling was not coming from my mud tires, it was coming from a bad wheel bearing on the front right.

Back