Will 2011 Keys Fobs Work On A 2016?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will 2011 Keys Fobs Work On A 2016??

Bill #5 Explorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
Happy Saturday everyone!

I just bough my newest, and 5th Explorer yesterday. I take delivery on Friday.

I have 2 extra 2011 key fobs from my Limited, will I be able to program them to the new 2016 XLT??

Thank you!:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No you will not be able to do so.

You have to change your forum name now Bill #5 Explorer!

What about BillsExplorer5

You have to change your forum name now Bill #5 Explorer!

What about BillsExplorer5

I have the entire Internet Brands IT department working on it. If that fails, I ask China or Russia to do it.

That sucks. Thanks for letting me know. Has this been covered before? Have you tried doing it?

Well when I did research on it when they first came out Remote Start equipped ones operated on 902mhz (I think that is it) and non remote start operate on 315mhz.

Are we talking about keyed or IA fobs and is the new one equipped with remote start?

Well when I did research on it when they first came out Remote Start equipped ones operated on 902mhz (I think that is it) and non remote start operate on 315mhz.

Are we talking about keyed or IA fobs and is the new one equipped with remote start?

My 2011 key fobs have remote start and the new 2016 has remote start.

They look different right? The 16 should be operating on 902 mhz your 11 would have been on 315.

Yes they do.

I need to trade someone two 2011 key fobs and a set of brand new black carpeted mats for one 2016 key fob. :)

Yes they do.

I need to trade someone two 2011 key fobs and a set of brand new black carpeted mats for one 2016 key fob. :)

I bet if you sold all of that on Ebay you would have enough to buy a 16 Remote from Benny!

You can get the correct 16 902mhz FOB on ebay for around$50-$75 bucks.

If its easy to reprogram one of Bills old fobs for my 2014. Id be interested in picking up a spare :) - I still have both of my original FOBs and have a Limited with remote start.

If its easy to reprogram one of Bills old fobs for my 2014. Id be interested in picking up a spare :) - I still have both of my original FOBs and have a Limited with remote start.

It's pretty easy. Page #157 in the owner's manual. That's how I did mine.

Back