Will 31" tires fit? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will 31" tires fit?

I have a 98 Explorer Eddie Bauer. If I raise it 1 1/2" using the torsion bar and shackle lift, will 31" tires fit without and body mods? Also, If I replace my Firestone Wilderness AT's by myself, can I still get money from Ford without having them put the Goodyear replacements on? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The answer to all your questions is YES!!! The 31's will fit (mine only just brush the swaybar at full lock), and Ford will reimburse you for the tires. I got my BFG 31's from Sears, took the receipt and Deathstones to my local dealer, and a week later, they sent me a check for $550.00 :) Take a look at my pix below, and you can see how they fit.

thanks man, i like the way that yours looks. not too much, but enough. is it going to matter that i have 16" wheels compared to your 15"? is there a max amount of $ that they will give you for tires? thanks again.

Matt

There is a max amount, but I don't remember what it is for 16" tires. There are plenty of threads on it here if you search, and Ford's website has the $$ amounts (I think). I don''t know if you can get 31's for 16" wheels or not. You might have to go with 225 or 265-16s instead.

$130 for 16 inch rims
$110 for 15 inch rims

This is the age old questions of explorers: "Will 31"s fit"

whats the difference between 225's and 265's? and which would you recommend?

Your choice. the # is the section width of the tire in mm. The bigger the #, the wider (and slightly taller) the tire is for a given aspect ration (the 75 in this case) there are a couple of thread up here about tire sizing.

I have just installed 265/75/16 Pirelli AT onto my 97 XLT and with a 1" lift on the front only these clear both the inner arches front and rear on full lock and when the axles are articulating.

The tires have a rolling radius of 31.7.

So I would consider fitting 31's to be of no problem at all.

In addition the Pirelli's have a nice agressive tread pattern for all terains and give really good grip on dry and wet road with a high resistance to aquaplanning.

Back