Will 4 door & 2 door fenders swap ? Junk yard says no ! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will 4 door & 2 door fenders swap ? Junk yard says no !

chevyh8ter

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 ford explorer
I need a fender for my 1991 Explorer Sport, but all the parts people / salvage yards are saying that they don't swap. I checked the part numbers and they are different. However, I'm thinking its because the 2 door models must have bolt holes for the fender flares. I'm not really concerned about re-installing the plastic fender flares anyway. So, can someone tell me for certain if the fenders swap or not ?
Thanks for any help !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

LMC Truck doesn't differentiate between 4dr and 2dr.

I believe in my heart that they should swap, but I've been wrong before.
I just want someone who has actually done the swap to say for certain.
I'd be really pissed if I spent $100 and it didn't fit.
Please, be truthful here guys.

Agreed with everyone else, should be a straight swap

Wow, I actually found a 93 sport fender.
I can tell you the difference in the 91 and the 93 sport fenders now.
The 93 fender has plastic inserts in the screw holes where the fender flares mount. The 91 just has holes drilled through the metal from what I seen.

It should still bolt right up though. Let us know if it does not...I'm always out to learn new things

I had a deer take out my passenger side front fender about 10 years ago, and I believe my body man got a new fender from a 4-door. Don't know what year it was though.

Amazing, that. Happened to me also - about 4 years ago - right front fender on the '92 XLT. One of these days I'm going to fix or replace it. Thanks for the information, now that I know I'll be looking for a complete fender in good condition.

Its
It should still bolt right up though. Let us know if it does not...I'm always out to learn new things

I had a deer take out my passenger side front fender about 10 years ago, and I believe my body man got a new fender from a 4-door. Don't know what year it was though.
Sorry, I should have made myself more clear. I mocked it up before I posted the update. I looks like its a good fit, but I've only finger tightened the top bolts. I need to adjust my door before I tighten it down completely. If it ends up not working I'll be sure to report it, but it looks pretty good at the moment. ;)

Back