Will 6.5" fit in the door of a 3rd gen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will 6.5" fit in the door of a 3rd gen

JasonF

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT 4x4 4.0
So I know my 04 has 6x8's in all 4 doors. I want a set of components up front, and most of the quality speakers come in either 5.25 or 6.5. Anyone fit 6.5's in there with a little work? Some pics would be great if anyone has them. I hate to gamble on the 6.5's and have to fuss with returning them if they dont work out. I dont know yet if this would require cutting any metal and if the door is deep enough to fit them.

Thanks

Jason

a 15 inch sub will fit in your doors with modification... any speaker will... now will it directly fit? no, you have to do a lil drilling because your doors are set up for 5x7s, but it's not hard. I have 6.5s in all 4 of my doors.

Thanks Mista,
I realize nothing is impossible but there are concerns, especially with mounting depth. If my window cant go up or down and the door panel doesnt fit back on, then that is not a viable solution for me. I dont want to alter the speaker grills on the doors either, I want it to look stock.

Did you have to cut metal to get them to fit in your 2nd gen?

Jason

http://users.adelphia.net/~janeleslie03/Car_Audio_Resources/6x8_to_Six-and-a-Half_Template.doc

It's not the prettiest thing in the world, but something like that should work. In my 98 Ranger (Explorer is a Ranger Based Vehicle) I just put in a hardboard baffle over the stock 6x8 hole with no cutting. Then I deadened my doors and installed my 6.5s. I did have some problems with the speakers hitting the door panel. I do understand that the Explorer does have different door panels, though.

Tempe

Back