will '93 bumpers, wheels & seats fit my 1991? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

will '93 bumpers, wheels & seats fit my 1991?

saxon

Reaction score
City, State
seattle, wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 & '93 EB, 4WD, 4-door
Last night I bought X no. 2, a 1993 EB 4WD primarily to get the transmission but also the grill, CD player, wheels, and tires. I assume that the 1993 fancy factory alloy wheels, factory CD player and stock grill will bolt straight into the 1991 with no problems.

There are a few other parts that I was not looking for but which are nicer on the 1993 and I may want to swap them over, specifically the front and rear bumpers and the electrically adjustable front seats. I assume that I would have to add some wiring to get power to the '93 front seats but that doesn't sound too hard. Are the bolt patterns for the bumpers and seats the same? Was there an existing power supply in 1991 to the seats that I can connect to?

The '93 also has the factory tow wiring with the breakers built in-line. I just bought an aftermarket trailer wire T fitting for the 1991 (darn). Can I swap the 1993 trailer wiring into the 1991? The X will never tow a boat so maybe having the breakers won't add much to the 1991.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would think the bumpers are interchangeable providing they are both from the same model (such as XLT). To confirm, you can try calling a junk yard, or look up the part numbers at rockauto.com.

Yes

yes yes and perhaps.
the seats may be slightly different, but then you can swap seat tracks and seat belt ends to the new seats.

Everything else is 100% bolt on

Seats are bolt on too. 91-94 are all the same. You'll probably have to run wiring for the electrical portion of the seats, but since you have both, just pull the seat wiring harness along with the seats.

Good idea Diff Whack Daddy; hadn't thought about just pulling whatever wires are needed from the 1993 (duh).

Note: the following has moved to a new thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1436876#post1436876

My 1991 seats are perfect but boring; the 1993 are cool (electric) but the fabric is stained and ripped in a few places on both and the front bolster on the passenger seat is not really attached to anything.

Can I disassemble the seats and swap over the cushions and fabric? Or the better question is not "can I?" but rather if I do that, will the stuff bolt back onto the 1993 electric seats? I like the electric seats but they look really bad.

the 1st gen bumpers are all the same excpet for the color (they came in either black or chrome)

seat pad swap

I forgot to mention that both of the Xs are EB editions, both have beige seats, and both have the inflatable thing inside.

the inflatable thing is the lumbar support. I think all EB seats had power. Mine don't in my Sport...

Back