Will a 1986-1987 Aerostar manual rack and pinion fit in a 1994 Aerostar? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will a 1986-1987 Aerostar manual rack and pinion fit in a 1994 Aerostar?

HLV-12

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Aerostar
Greetings,
I am the original owner of a 1994 base model Aerostar XL. I have the 3.0 engine with a 5 speed stick. So far I have over 340,000 miles on the original engine.
I need to replace the rack and pinion power steering. The OEM rack lasted about 210,000 miles. However, the rebuilds I have put in ( two so far) have not fared as well. While looking a replacement, I found a Company- Detroit Axle- that offers a manuel rack for a 1986-1987 Aerostar Cargo Van. Will that manuel work in my Aerostar? Additionally, I have two other issues. One when I start up, the wipers will cycle several times. The second, is when I stop at a stop sign, the engine idle will not always slow down.

Best Regards,
HLV-12

I've never seen one with a manual rack & pinion. Were you getting rack & pinions from local rebuilders or from an auto parts store? Maybe that brand had a series of defective rebuilds. What is the problem with your rack & pinion? If the seals are leaking, you could try adding Lucas sealant to see if it works. My 1995 van had a leak when I got it, so I added Lucas. It's been good ever since that time.

As for the wiper issue, it might have an issue with the parking switch in the wiper motor or with the delay wiper module.

Check the vacuum lines for leaks to slow down the idle issue.

The manual rack will fit all years of the Aerostar. If you need some power assistance, an electric motor from some Saturn or Toyota cars can be retrofitted cheaply. For the high idle issue, I'd check the idle air control valve.

Back