Will a 2008/2009/2010 differential fit on 2005 ford explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will a 2008/2009/2010 differential fit on 2005 ford explorer

frankboat

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Lincoln aviator
It seems to me that the 2006-2010 ford explorer rear differential has less problems such as noise than the earlier models (2002-2005). Some one posted threads about successfully installed 2006 rear differential on 2004 explorer (although there is one less bolt installed, it functions perfectly).

Does any one know if all 2006-2010 ford explorer has the same rear differentials? If yes, I might consider installing a newer differential (such as 2007-2010) on my 2005 explorer.

Thanks a lot.
:exp::)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Different gear ratio

I am sure gear ratio must be matched for a 4X4 explorer.

However, In my limited opinion, for a rear wheel drive 3rd/4th generation explorer, changing the gear ratio does not cause any problem because the front wheels only runs passively, Right? (I think the speed sensors are located at the four wheels, as long the wheels are turnning at the same speed, it will not cause any problem)

Is this right? Experts, please advise!!

ALSO, Can I install the rear differential from a AWD or 4X4 on a 2-wheel drive explorer???

:exp::)Thanks.

I am sure gear ratio must be matched for a 4X4 explorer.

However, In my limited opinion, for a rear wheel drive 3rd/4th generation explorer, changing the gear ratio does not cause any problem because the front wheels only runs passively, Right? (I think the speed sensors are located at the four wheels, as long the wheels are turnning at the same speed, it will not cause any problem)

Is this right? Experts, please advise!!

ALSO, Can I install the rear differential from a AWD or 4X4 on a 2-wheel drive explorer???

:exp::)Thanks.
If your 2wd put whatever in there
with 4x4auto/awd they must be matched front to rear

Has anyone installed a 4th generation rear differential on a third generation explorer?

I have an 03 2wd explorer. I put an 08 rear in works great. but there are some mods you have to do to put the newer year rear in. the tone ring on my 03 was in the pumkin on the ring gear, on 06-10 it is on the axels. so that required me to open up both rear's and swap over the tone ring onto the new ring gear. also the abs sensor on my 03 is mounted to the top of the pumpkin. the 08 had no hole for the sensor to fit into. I dont remember the exact size something like 11/16 almost 1 inch hole for the sensor to fit into. I also had to drill and tap a small bolt hole for the sensor to be bolted down.

not a terriable bad job but took up half my day.

Hey Vipersinu2

Thanks for the info. The 4th gen differential appears to have a total of 4 bolts to hold it to the chasis but the 3rd gen only has 3 bolts. Does ignoring one of them appear to be stable when installing a 4th gen differential on 3rd gen?

I guess the 4th bolt probably provided extra stability. Do you think if it is necessary and feasible to somehow drill a hole on the chasis and fastern the 4th bolt.

Thanks a lot.

no need for the 4th mounting bolt. the 3 mounting bolts that you will use, will be the same as the 3 factory bolts you took out. just the 4th will be there with no bolt in it, no worries very strong with 3 bolts!

I am guessing the 2 rear bolts hold it from twisting left or right, and the 2 fronts hold it from moving up and down. 1 mounting bracket will be plenty.

Bringing a thread back from the dead here but, how hard of a job is it to swap the old tone ring into the newer differential?
I'll be doing this swap shortly, mine is howling and whining since last week, and I could use all the help I can get!
Would it be simpler to swap the ABS sensor and axle to the newer one along with diff? Worst case I won't have rear wheel ABS?
Also, did these newer diffs come open in 3.55:1 ratio?

I did some searching and it appears that for the swap I'm going to have to remove the carrier, purchase a new tone ring, press fit it, reinstall the carrier exactly like it was and then drill a hole for the abs sensor.
Am I right?

I did some searching and it appears that for the swap I'm going to have to remove the carrier, purchase a new tone ring, press fit it, reinstall the carrier exactly like it was and then drill a hole for the abs sensor.
Am I right?

Yes. The ABS ring goes behind the ring gear.

Thank you for the response!
One thing is still unclear, does the tone ring get sandwiched between the ring gear and the carrier or does it get pressed on the carrier behind the ring gear?

Hopefully I get this all figured out since I'd love to do a write up.

Back