Will a 265/75 spare fit on a 1996 Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will a 265/75 spare fit on a 1996 Explorer?

I have a 1996 EB with 16 inch rims. I just got Goodyear RT|S 265/75/R16. They feel great and fit good.

But the spare is a tiny 225 on a 15 inch rim.

I want to get a 16 inch rim and put a 265 on it (or close to it).

I know that later years came with a 16 inch rim. Does anyone know if a 265/75/R16 will fit underneath a 1996?

I'll try it this weekend by taking my new wheel and doing a test fit. But was hoping someone knew already. Thanks.

-Brian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well, i have a 265 70 r16 spare under my truck; sorry, but im not sure if a 265 75 r16 will fit. mines snug, but not tight, so it might fit, but it might not. im sure someone else has tried.

Don't think so ?

from past discusions I don't think it will fit . If not try airing down . Goodluck .

I doubt it. My 265 75R16 won't come close to fitting under my '97 when aired down to 10 PSI. I have a round tube hitch but I doubt if I could get it to fit even if I didn't have the hitch. The '98 and up have more room under them. That is why they came with a full sized spare and the '95-'97 with 16" tires didn't.

I took some measurements and there is no way anything bigger than a 225/70/R15 spare will fit (maybe a 235) on the 1996.

I won't be driving very far at all if I get a flat.

So what type of damage can I expect if one tire is a 27 inch and one is a 31.5 inch on the same axle?

-Brian

Put the spare on the front and go straight to a place to get the flat repaired. You have the same combo I have. As of yet, I haven't had to use my spare. I am looking into a receiver mounted spare tires carrier though and getting a larger spare. I plan on only carrying it on out of town drives or off-roading. If I get a flat around town, the few miles to a tire place shouldn't hurt anything. The funny thing is Ford equipped my Explorer with the 27" spare and 30" tires. In my owner's guide it mentions that "your vehicle may be equipped with a temporary use spare". It doesn't mention anything about putting it on the front if you have a limited slip though, but the conses is that if you have an LS, put the smaller spare up front. In '98 when they started including a 16" spare, the manual mentions that using a spare tire of a different size than the tires equipped on the vehicle may cause damage and isn't recommended. If I ever do have to use my smaller spare and cause any damage, I will be using both manuals in my possible lawsuit against Ford.

Back