Will a 2nd gen dash fit in a 1st gen truck? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will a 2nd gen dash fit in a 1st gen truck?

04sd

Reaction score
City, State
pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 F150, '84 Ranger
The title sort of sums it up, will a second generation dash fit in a first generation truck. I'm not really worried about brackets and such just the physical size and fit. Like is it wider, or is the curve at the windshield different.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It fits just perfect. A second gen Explorer (and even the later gens) has the same basic body as a first gen, so most everything that isn't a completely new system (i.e. front suspension) swaps right out.

You'll probably want the dash out of a second gen with the same 4.0L OHV engine though, and maybe even with the same transmission (standard/automatic), otherwise all the electronics might not hook up the same and make it slightly more difficult than a direct swap. There might still be a few different plugs, but with a wiring diagram you can figure them out, and splice the wires to use any connectors from your old dash, or from the donor vehicle.

Thanks.
That was the idea behind it, to take everything out of a wrecked truck; engine, trans, transfer case, dash, wiring, etc.; and swap it into an older truck.

If you do this your going to need to do some wiring as stated because the 2nd gen speedo is not cable controlled like the first gen and its 120mph as you prob seen. It is definitely going to be some work or else you could try modifying the dash to take your 85mph speedo.

EDIT: You replied before I replied....You may want to check the BII section a guy did this with his BII he took a 95 explorer and swapped over alot. and it turned out nice.

I'm actually working on an '84 Ranger but I think I'm just going to use a 1st gen Explorer for everything. Keeps things a little bit simpler. Maybe for the next one I'll use a V8 Explorer to swap everything into a Ranger or BII.

Yea the 1st gen would be a little more simplified...

Man that looks sweet! Looks like the one I seen on craigslist for sale not to long ago I thought of buying for a toy.

That would be it. I really only have room for one toy at a time so I had to clear out the stable for the next project :)

Back