Will a 96 block swap into a 91 XLT.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will a 96 block swap into a 91 XLT....

basballdude

Reaction score
Will heads, manifolds, etc from a 91 motor bolt on to a 96 short block?

Let me be a little more clear on the post. I am wondering if I can replace a 91 short block ONLY with a block from a 96 and bolt all the 91 stuff back on the 96 block? I don't need to know about the EGR non EGR or O2 sensors, just whether or not the BLOCKS are interchangeable. Here's the original post for reference:

Last year I pulled a 96 4.0 out of soon to be ex's XLT. Fought a problem that eventually turned out to be a camshaft issue. I found a rebuilt short block online for $400 and replaced it rather than spend the time and money to replace the cam, timing chain, etc. So here's my question. I just bought a 91 XLT for $500 and its got either 139,000 or 239,000 miles on it. The 96 block is in fantastic shape except for the cam. Will the 96 short block mate up with the 91? I pulled the 96 times while searching for the problem, so I'm pretty familiar with the process. It appears to be the same, but I seem to remember there being a difference in mating up with the flywheel. If someone could help out with that question, longwinded as it is, I would appreciate it. The 96 block has no grooves on the cylider walls, and the bearings are all in aoutstanding shape. So if I can swap it to the 91 I would rather do that.

Thanks,

Clete

Back