Will a 98 4.0 block work in a 2002? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will a 98 4.0 block work in a 2002?

RayInStl

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer 4.0
Hey guys, been searching google and finding good information but not exactly what I need to know.

I have a 2002 explorer with a 4.0L SOHC. Mechanic says the block is toast. Heads and everything else looks good though. I have a 98 explorer also with a 4.0 sohc. Both are 4x4. Can I use the short block from the 98 with the 2002 heads, intake, timing set, etc? Basically, are the blocks the same?

Hoping for a miracle.

Thanks guys!

Ray

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Excellent! You just made my day! I really needed some good news.

Pop the valve covers before you do any work though. The cassettes do like to fail on all these engines. Very poor design by ford. The upgrades post 02 did nothing to increase dependability either.

We will be using pretty much everything from the 2002. I have a brand new Cloyes timing set, timing chain cover, head bolts, and gaskets that were slated for the other motor, but will go on this one instead. We're basically going to take it down to the block, inspect the crank, piston, and walls, and then build it back up.

I really did try to do my research, lol. I just couldn't find any definitive information on whether the blocks were identical or not.

Back