Will a '98 5.0 manifold fit a '96 5.0? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will a '98 5.0 manifold fit a '96 5.0?

Explorer96xlt

Reaction score
City, State
Maitland, florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 5.0
I have a 1996 ford explorer 5.0L, my right hand side manifold is cracked, and im getting tired of the ticking. someone has a manifold for sale from a '98 5.0 limited.

will the 98 manifold fit my 96?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, but the passenger side one will have an port for the EGR tube. So it would have to be plugged up.

Section, I am asking because I don't know, but the 96 5.0L manifolds are for the non P heads.
The 98 will have P heads, so I assume you are saying the manifoldsfit both heads?

It makes sense I just want to be sure, I know the TM headers will fit both heads.
The angle of the spark plug is the only difference?

can i ask what the egr port and the egr tube does?..i really have no idea.

http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/

Everything you ever wanted to know about EGR.

IN 96-mid 97 the 5.0L EGR was external (metal tube from top of pass side manifold to intake)

IN 97.5+ the 5.0L used the "P" heads, and the EGR is plumbed internally, through the heads and into the intake (no tube)

I think you got those backwards? :p

Yup I do sorry, hahah my BII has an EGR tube, with a 97 engine with P heads.

My 96 Explorer's withouth the P heads have no EGR tube.

Hey all 3 trucks look similar under the hood! cut me some slack :p hahaha I have been under all three hoods lately too!!

are the 97+ manifolds shaped differantly then the 96's ?

ive looked under the hood..and i cant find an EGR tube

You dont have one as stated above I had it backwards, the P heads = EGR tube.

The elbow to the throttle body is the difference between the upper intakes, only, as far as I know.

Back