Will a bad water pump leak with the engine off? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will a bad water pump leak with the engine off?

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
It's been years since I've had a water pump go bad on any of my trucks, so help me here. If the water pump is bad, will it only leak when it's spinning (engine running), or will it leak when it's off and sitting there?

I have a decent leak, more than a trickle, that I can't quite tell where it's coming from. It might be the area where one heater hose goes in above/behind the Tstat housing, but it does seem to be leaking above the water pump itself.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...You can get leakage while your coolant system is still under pressure and also while the coolant level exists above the area where it is leaking.

...The water pump is designed and has, a weep hole on the bottom of it which is generally the first sign of water pump failure...

...Is this on your Ranger or the F150?

Haha Ted, I almost called you to ask, instead of posting.
It's the Ranger.
Yesterday I noticed my temp gauge was higher than usual, so I checked my coolant, and it was more than a gallon low.:eek: While I was pouring more in, I noticed when it got to near full, it was trickling out. The system was not pressurized.

My engine is so gunked up, I can't tell by looking where the water pump ends and the engine block starts. :rolleyes: But I'm pretty sure it's not the weep hole, that's too low. Would the pump leak from anywhere else?

...The first things I would suspect would be water pump gasket, heater hose, bypass hose, or the t-stat housing cracked...They are pot metal...

...This is generic but may help...:D

0996b43f8022cd63.gif

That's a good thread! In his first post, the 13th picture looks pretty much like mine. :D

So I put everything back together, filled it up and went for a drive to the store. When I parked, I could hear the hiss. Popped the hood, and could tell the pressure leak was coming from right above the Tstat. I'll have to take a pic to show you the location.

I also have a set of the Goodyear HiMiler hose set that I bought of someone on this site a while ago that I haven't put on yet, this will be a good time I guess. ;)

...Any pics of the installed Hi miler hoses???...:popcorn:

No hose pics, Ted, but how about a pic of the real problem?
After much searching, and some cautious teardown, I think I have a blown gasket. In the pic below, you may be able to see a piece of gasket sticking out, between where the radiator hose goes into the block and that oily bolt hole. That's where I could see a flow of water when I had everything assembled and engine running.
Is that a headgasket, or intake gasket?

Attachments

• headgasket.jpg
    headgasket.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 10,365

Back