Will a worn out Starter Pull more current | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will a worn out Starter Pull more current

Britcom61

Reaction score
City, State
Pulaski, VA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
Hi,
I have a starter that would not turn, then managed to get it to run by loosening it up with a few taps from a sledgehammer. I had to drive in 24" of snow and used the starter maybe 8 times. Now the battery has died, my question is, would the starter be pulling all that juice, enough to drain in down? Thanks for the help, Lee.

Yep, basically as the starter dies, the brushes are grounding out and not spinning the shaft, resulting in sucking your battery charge dry. Replace the starter, and charge your battery. DO NOT rely on the alternator to charge the battery after you jumpstart the truck, or you will burn out the regulator within the alternator. Then you will need one of those as well.

Does anyone recommend a specific supplier for the starter motor. I could go to Advance or O'Reilly's. If there is a manufacturer that makes a better one, I would be interested, thanks, Lee.

I wish they did make a better/stronger starter,mine is brand new and struggles to kick my motor over,haven't tried a higher cca battery yet but mine is the highest I could find without a drycell

Back