• Register Today It's free!

Will A4LD t-case fit on M5OD?

Freshmeat

Reaction score
City, State
Denham Springs, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ranger STX SC
Found a Navajo with a 5sp- can the BW1354 from my A4LD fit on it? Do I need to swap the inputs? Would rather not have to buy the t-case on the 5sp since it'll well more than double the expense.

Thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep the 1354 will swap into the M5OD.

Manual transfer cases will have issues on some of the newer trucks with the HD version

Manual transfer cases will have issues on some of the newer trucks with the HD version
In terms of torque? Cauz the SOHC hasnt really changed too much in torque since the second gen. And plenty of people are using the 1354 as their second t-case behind a doubler so torque wise, I think it'll do just fine.

Dimensionally, the 1354 will bolt right up to the M5R1HD - I've tested this exact combo.

Any tips on what to take from the donor? Here's my list:

transmission with shifter and bell
floor plate
clutch and flywheel (if in good enough shape)
clutch pedal
master and slave cylinders with hoses
starter

Should I get anything else? Do I need any of the wiring?

Do I need the crossmember?

In terms of torque? Cauz the SOHC hasnt really changed too much in torque since the second gen. And plenty of people are using the 1354 as their second t-case behind a doubler so torque wise, I think it'll do just fine.

Dimensionally, the 1354 will bolt right up to the M5R1HD - I've tested this exact combo.

No, they will bolt up fine however in the later rangers the vss is in the tailhousing of the transmission with no provision to mount a manual shift transfer case. But I you have an answer to this issue go herehttp://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=249238

As to not hijack someone elses question :)

Thanks for the thought but no one else is responding anyway. Hehe

The transfer case will fit the M5OD from the A4LD. Are you doing a 5-sp swap too?

If so I think your list is complete other than the transmission will be all one piece, no seperate bellhousing.

As for the crossmember, if it is not much extra pick it up but I think it will fit.

Wiring would involve reverse and neutral start switch but I don't know much about it.

Try searching that would be your best option for a 5-sp swap.

The transfer case will fit the M5OD from the A4LD. Are you doing a 5-sp swap too?

If so I think your list is complete other than the transmission will be all one piece, no seperate bellhousing.

As for the crossmember, if it is not much extra pick it up but I think it will fit.

Wiring would involve reverse and neutral start switch but I don't know much about it.

Try searching that would be your best option for a 5-sp swap.

I've tried searching to no avail. I've been without Internet all week (thanks, Cox!) and searching via iPhone blows. I'll be back online tomorrow, though, so I'll try to dig a bit then.

...and to directly answer you, yes- I'm doing a full 5sp swap. The A4LD is sucking down fluid left and right so I'm going to use it as an excuse to get to a manual, which I very much prefer.

Back