Will changing my timing chain tensioners do more bad than good? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

If you can make a vid of the noise we will most likely be able to identify it

I have a piggyback question. I know I have a broke chain tensioner guide. Should I replace the tensioners to kill the rattle? The rattle is at startup and idle,I don't hear it work in drive.

If your chain guides(s) are broken, replacing the tensioner(s) is not very likely to be helpful at all.

Good luck.

Update* Here we are a little over a month later. The startup rattle is definitely much better on cold start but I still get the occasional startup rattle now and then. I definitely think it was worth changing for the small price you pay.

2007 4.0 SOHC 4WD. I know this topic has been beaten to death but when I cold-start my truck I have a slight rattle which goes away very quickly (unless its REALLY cold out then it lasts a little longer). When the truck warms up the engine is super quiet and has good power. The only other thing that worries me is I hear very faint chain rattle between 2-3k. It's not very loud but I know its there.

Now, I don't believe the chain tensioners were ever changed in here (I'm the second owner, bought it with 119 now at 124k). Is it worth it to change my tensioners and potentially get rid of my startup rattle or will I wind up just breaking the guides by doing so? A friend with a 97 4.0 SOHC Explorer changed his tensioners at 160xxx and two days later his truck was rattling like crazy which leads me to believe he broke the guides. At the same time though, he used crappy no-name tensioners.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
[Saludos pienso que se debe medir la presión del aceite, revisar filtro interno de la bomba de aceite que esta en el Carter, además un aceite fino 5w dificulta a la bomba subir presión, y por lo tanto a los tensores de cadena, también verifique o cambie válvula PCV podría no estar aliviando presión del Carter y es bastante delicado porque el aceite se mezcla con el aire y la bomba pierde presión. Suerte.

Back