Will F-150 leaf springs fit on explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will F-150 leaf springs fit on explorer?

slapthefunkyfou

Reaction score
City, State
Farmington, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XL
I'm getting a skyjacker 4" lift this week, and I'm replacing the rear leafs instead of the aal and shackles, but I guess they don't make the leaf springs for the explorer any more. Will the ranger or older bronco II leaf springs fit? Or F-150 leaf springs?

Am I the only one who has this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Factory ones from an 02 are almost identical to our factory ones length and centerpin wise. The only thing that might be different is the bushings or the sleeves.

what year F-150? yes...sorta you need to use the explorer main leaf....there is a kick ass write up on it......really it is good...gearld is running F-150's and i think he got 3 inches out of them combiding the explorer leafs and the F-150's minus the main leaf. I belive the years that fit are 86-95????? the years that it is 2.5 inches wide.

here is the thread.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101035&highlight=F-150+springs

You guys are great. I usually do a search before I ask anything, but if you search for leaf springs, f150, springs, or something to that effect, you get so many answers it would take years to go through them to find what you needed. Thanks.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I have to have a totally new spring setup. Not just for lift, but my old springs are so worn out that the frame is almost resting on the bump stop with no room at all. So to use the f150 leaves together with the stock leaf from the ex would not work, but thanks for the suggestion.

I'll post pics when it's done.

Old Man Emu makes some real nice rear leaf springs for the Explorer for around $450.00. They are supposed to add 2" of lift, but you could just take a leaf or two out to make them the right height. It has several leafs in the spring pack, so taking a few out would not matter. I have ordered some for my Explorer and they should be in by next week. Stock leaf springs from Ford cost nearly the same. Yes, they still make them.

BKennedy said:
Old Man Emu makes some real nice rear leaf springs for the Explorer for around $450.00. They are supposed to add 2" of lift, but you could just take a leaf or two out to make them the right height. It has several leafs in the spring pack, so taking a few out would not matter. I have ordered some for my Explorer and they should be in by next week. Stock leaf springs from Ford cost nearly the same. Yes, they still make them.

I am still getting a lift kit, but most lift kits that I have seen do not come with new leaf springs. I would like to do the soa with new stock springs but I really don't want that much lift.

I wonder if I could get a leaf spring arched for 2 inches of lowering, and then do the soa? I wonder if I could still get as much suspension travel out of it?

slapthefunkyfou said:
I am still getting a lift kit, but most lift kits that I have seen do not come with new leaf springs. I would like to do the soa with new stock springs but I really don't want that much lift.

I wonder if I could get a leaf spring arched for 2 inches of lowering, and then do the soa? I wonder if I could still get as much suspension travel out of it?
You can have my old worn out springs, they are at least two inches lower than stock. :p ;) :rolleyes: :confused: :eek:

why not just go replacemts via Junk yard with a couple F-150's in it for extra support go SOA then use F-150 spacers for the front end giving you about 6 inches?

BKennedy said:
You can have my old worn out springs, they are at least two inches lower than stock. :p ;) :rolleyes: :confused: :eek:
Seriously, if you went with any spring that were lower than stock, with a SOA, then they would be flat at rest, or maybe a little less than flat, which is not good for them at all. If you want less than the 5 1/2" lift you get when you go SOA, then you need to keep the springs under the axle. There are several lift makers that have from 2 1/2 to 4 inch lift leaf springs. Having the springs under the axle is not so bad if you do moderate wheelin because they act like rock sliders. They do take a beating though. I went through three lifts of differents heights and manufactors before I went SOA because I wanted the Explorer to do more than it could with a four inch max lift. Having that longer wheelbase means you need more height to make it a good off roader.

In another thread, I mentioned that I bought a BDS Supsension 6" lift kit for a ranger 2 days ago. I'm installing that one today along with a soa.

I still appreciate your input.

Back