will motocross bikes fit int he back with the gate down? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

will motocross bikes fit int he back with the gate down?

kx450f73

Reaction score
City, State
albany ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
noce yet
I'm sure this has been asked before multiple times, but I'm looking to buy one but want to want to make sure my motocross(kx450f) bike will will fit ?If anyone has a pic they could post as well that would be even better, I could care less if the wheel is hanging over the bed as long as its in there solid and where the wheel contacts the bed is level. I'm guessing part of the wheel will be past the end of the gate but not where the bottom of the wheel contacts the gate/bed.
thanks appreciate any response

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've hauled my old '99 KX250 in my Sport Trac several times, though I did have to remove my bed extender. It fit in straight with about two inches to spare at the end of the tailgate, though the tire did extend past the end of the truck. I used to have a picture somewhere, but I can't seem to find it now, sorry.

Tom

I figured the tire would be longer then the actual bed but as long as the contaqct point of the tire isn't beyond the tail gte I'm cool with that. The trailer I use now is exactly the same way, more then likely though my kx450 is a tad longer then the kx250 but not 2 inches. cool thanks man I appreciate it. Didn't think the bed liner would need to be taken out though

I used to haul 2 bikes in my ST. My YZ450 and my buddies KTM 525. I also had my gearbag, bike stand and gas can as well. And his stuff also.
I also cut my bed extender so I could that I could haul my bike and use the extender. I just cut a slot in 2 of the tubes and relocated the plastic parts that holds the bars in place. Worked out great!!

No pics though..

not sure I can picture what mean, u sort of cut two wheel chocks into the bed up where the front wheels are to get another few inches of room? Had u not done that would the bikes have fit, even if the wheel was a little longer then the gate contact point of wheel would have made it?
bed extender? not sure what that is?

wait I know what mean, u cut the thing that goes on the end of the gate to the two back wheels would fit through but it would still keep stuff from sliding out the back right?

wait I know what mean, u cut the thing that goes on the end of the gate to the two back wheels would fit through but it would still keep stuff from sliding out the back right?

Exactly.. But I only cut it out for 1 bike. I only hauled my buddies if we went to go practice somewhere. On race days I only hauled myself:) I was always there early to get extra practice time in.

that's me man, I go whenever I can for practice probably the 1st one at the track usually my friend don't get up as early. My girls crf150r will fit in there no problem I'm certain of

Yes the bikes will fit...I made sure of that before I got mine,Two bikes,gear bags and gas cans no problem....MOTO..............:salute:

my 04 cr125r fit in mine without an problems. just had to angle it in the bed, wouldnt go straight in..ill try to find a pic

Hey Chad, you got any pics of that modified bed extender? I would love to see what you did with that!

i hauled a small street bike in the back of my '93 once.. it was a tight fit and a big pain.. i dont recommend it.. why not get a little trailer?

Hey Chad, you got any pics of that modified bed extender? I would love to see what you did with that!

I cannot find the pics I took when I did that mod to my extender. I retired from Racing in 06 so I tossed the extender.

I always put my bike in the passenger side of the bed. So I measured how wide the rear swing arm was. Then I cut the top 2 bars out of the extender and moved the black plastic clamps that hold the three bars in place to where I cut. Went to home depot and bought some pipe plugs and that was it. It was wide enough that I could roll my bike into the bed without removing the extender. I must say it was a pretty trick setup..

Back