Will replacing the ball joints fix..... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will replacing the ball joints fix.....

XLTmodifire

Reaction score
City, State
Nor*Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
99' XLT (B4 Autumn Brown)
The previous owner had all four wheels balanced the day prior to me purchasing. I have the receipt. However, if I go above 65mph, I feel a slight vibration. The faster I go, the greater the vibration is. I do have a steering squeak, so it looks as though I need to replace the ball joints. However, will this also fix the vibration above 65mph?

Thank you for all help and responses.
:exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

But the PO didn't have an alignment, which would have been better than a rotate & balance! You should inspect all steering/suspension components - tie rod ends and stabilizer bushings

Do the ball joints have any play in them?
Do the tie rod ends have any play in them?
Vibrations can be hard to track down.
Was the balance done on a roadforce machine?
Are the tires in good shape? Do you know their age?

Vibration is very difficult to diagnose. Often you must keep on replacing things until it disappears.

Once I replaced or repaired (on a Mustang) everything; ball joints, tires, bearings, u-joints . . . conducted multiple tire balancing, alignments, bent wheel tests . . . . only to discover that the DRIVE SHAFT was slightly bent.

It can be a painfully and expensive journey. Good luck.

start with the tires. i had a similar problem only to discover much later it was a bad tire. if they arent new its a likely possibility. weird wear or something of the sorts can really impact this.

True on the tire issue. I bought my dad a brand new set of Daytona Timberlines only to find that EVERY single one of the was out of round!! The tire store said they had never seen that before, but there it was. They were good about it and upgraded him for free to Bridgestone Duelers AT's. Also, balance could be wrong if they had a new guy do it or if the tech just had a bad day!

so even if new you need to check each one individually. then if ok move on to worse (more expensive and labor-some) things.

Wow! Thank you so much for all the replies!

I will tug on the tie rods and such for play. Is there to not be any at all, or a little is fine?

The tires look to be in great condition. All wearing evenly with about 65% tread left.

Now, if I hear a hollow sound when hitting a small bump every once in a while (like I need new hub bearings), would a need for hub bearings also possibly play into the vibration?

Thanks again everyone!

Back