Will sea foam unstick a hydro lifter? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will sea foam unstick a hydro lifter?

Right in the middle of draining the oil, A wicked storm with rains driving sideways, and everything that wasn't bolted down blew off to KS somewhere.

Was this a sign from the Truck Gods?

Any who...I got it done after the storm passed. The lifter did quiet down, but I have a tick still. I am pretty sure it is the mushroomed push rods and the rockers slapping around in there.
The oil was thin as heck (and hot) and it drained completely after sitting there for a bit as Thor and Zuess battled above. Ran it for about 20 mins and it got quieter as time went on. Hopefully it continues to improve.

I rate this engine cleansing as "Plausible" :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I was a kid my gramps had an old Very old 57 chev parked on the land we hunted. He told me he used to run 1 qt of tranny fluid for 100 mi before every oil change. That car had 110,000 mi which was a ton for a stock 57 and when i decided to pull down the motor it looked new inside. Thats after sittin for 10 yrs. There was typical rust in the intake and one cylinder where water had got in but the rest was amazingly clean. They didnt have near the quality of oil then so i would say it will at least keep the varnish down.

ATF will do less than motor oil as a cleaner:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1833586&page=1

I've been looking into using seafoam, a lot on the site about it, let me know how it does on The BLACK HOLE. No ticking or anything, just looking for cleaning the innards in the engine.

I have a neighbor that's been a mechanic for 60 years and he adds a quart of kerosene to his oil and lets it idle for 10 minutes before changing it.

Thanks, but no thanks for the ATF link.:thumbdwn:

This is a topic of Seafoam and a sticky lifter, NOT a thread debating ATF as a cleaner.

This is not going to get into a debate that is off topic, I will shut this mother down before that happens.

What???

Gman, I will remember this as the lifters in the diesel are slightly slow (a little tap under load).

Pull the valve covers and lets see the the results :D!

Gman, I will remember this as the lifters in the diesel are slightly slow (a little tap under load).

Yeah I have a bunch of push rods, bet we can measure them and fix this cheap

I have a neighbor that's been a mechanic for 60 years and he adds a quart of kerosene to his oil and lets it idle for 10 minutes before changing it.

I've always used a qt of diesel fuel, idle for 5-10mins then drain. I've dealt with lifter noise on my 460 f250 for years. When I first tried the diesel I had giant clumps and clots of sludge coming out of the drain plug.

Even if the manufacturer suggests 30 miles driving, I don't think I would do it to my own vehicle.

I will do that when I get caught up on stuff. Right now I am doing a bunch of other stuff to the rig, and trying to do one thing at a time. I also want to see whats going on in there.

Yeah I have a bunch of push rods, bet we can measure them and fix this cheap

Maybe some weekend when I am visiting we can slap some pushrods in there. I can't remember if the rockers are adjustable or not on the 4.0 OHV.

I've always used a qt of diesel fuel, idle for 5-10mins then drain. I've dealt with lifter noise on my 460 f250 for years. When I first tried the diesel I had giant clumps and clots of sludge coming out of the drain plug.

Even if the manufacturer suggests 30 miles driving, I don't think I would do it to my own vehicle.

Wow! Man I would like to see video of the sludge coming out of the drain hole, and see what the oil looks like doing it that way .:eek:

Ok well yesterday I added Sea foam to the crank case and through the vacuum line. Should I have put some in the fuel tank as well? Or will my injectors get cleaned out just fine from putting it in the vacuum line?

Thanks

I ran a half a can in my gas tank as well, it seemed to improve, but who knows. A lot of guys swear by doing the vac line method. They say it really cleans it out that way.

Learned a lot reading this thread...I've used the Lucas Oil Stabilizer and it quieted down my enging (2.9Lv6 Ranger) and upped the oil pressure, quieted my loud lifter for a while, but it's back with a vengeance. I'm going to try the Seafoam next oil change....Thanks, guys!

I had a #2 cyl missfire because comp was leaking by valves, ive used sea foam twice in 500 miles and miss went away completely, it cleaned all carbon off valves, i use sea foam in all my vehicles every 3 oil changes. you can eat off the inside of my engines.

Back