Will size 285 tires fit using only coil spacers to lift? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will size 285 tires fit using only coil spacers to lift?

turblown

Reaction score
City, State
Buckeye, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT
2003 Explorer XLT bone stock.

I have read several threads on lifting (including the stickies). The posts were primarily from people who went to a size 285/75/16 or 285/70/17 tire using 2.25"/1.75" BTF Coil Spacers AND a 3" body lift. I don't care for the look of a body lift and frankly it sounds like a pain to install, so if I can't fit 285's with just the spacers, I'll probably go with 265's. Anyways, like the title reads:

Will size 285 tires fit using only coil spacers?

Your feedback is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe 265's fit at stock height, so I imagine 285's will work with the lift. It's very possible you will have to do a little trimming because the tires may rub at full lock.

I think 265's would look great with the lift you have in mind and will cause the least trouble/power loss, etc.

I believe 265's fit at stock height...I think 265's would look great with the lift you have in mind and will cause the least trouble/power loss, etc.

If 265s fit stock height (which I believe they do) and coil spacer lifting alone doesn't allow for a bigger tire... I'm starting to wonder if I want a lift at all. I'm in the market for a bigger tire now (next few months). The additional ground clearance from spacers would be nice, but if it won't change my decision on tire size then I could install them at any time...

[MENTION=103388]thepotroast[/MENTION] I see that you installed 285s (install link) with only a 3" body lift before you installed a coil spacer lift, which would be a similar setup (height wise). Was the truck drivable with just the 3" body lift? Did you have any issues that made the additional lift necessary to clear the 285s?

[MENTION=78779]Cozmik[/MENTION] I've read some of your posts as well. You mentioned that you did not want to go the body lift route either. Did you get a coil spacer lift, bigger tires?

[MENTION=117317]dirtdigger19[/MENTION] From your signature it looks like you are running 33“ tires (285s), 2.5" front lift and 1.25" wheel spacers. This sounds pretty close to the setup I would like to achieve. I'm assuming you are using the wheel spacers in order to keep the stock rims? Any issues with running 285s on the stock rims? Any additional adjustments needed to make it work?

Do the people you are asking questions to know you are asking them questions?

If you are just looking to beef up the looks and give it a little more off-road worthiness, just do the spacer lift you have in mind with 265's. It'll be the easiest, cheapest and more practical option.

If 265s fit stock height (which I believe they do) and coil spacer lifting alone doesn't allow for a bigger tire... I'm starting to wonder if I want a lift at all. I'm in the market for a bigger tire now (next few months). The additional ground clearance from spacers would be nice, but if it won't change my decision on tire size then I could install them at any time...

[MENTION=103388]thepotroast[/MENTION] I see that you installed 285s (install link) with only a 3" body lift before you installed a coil spacer lift, which would be a similar setup (height wise). Was the truck drivable with just the 3" body lift? Did you have any issues that made the additional lift necessary to clear the 285s?

Thanks for PM'ing me so I knew to come to your thread :) Yes, when I installed my 285's with the 3" BL I was able to drive ok. I could not however turn my wheels full lock to both sides, maybe around 75% if memory serves? I put the RoadBully coil spacer lift on it shortly after...I had planned on doing both at the same time, but my RB lift was taking some time to get sent to me from Canada (a couple weeks wait), so I drove around fine on the BL with those 285's that entire time as a daily driver.

Good luck!

I went 2.5" front and 2" rear (made them my self) the 285/75R16 tires will fit on stock rims but will rub on tight turns... I did install a 3" body lift after the suspension lift but I left the stock running boards on (eddy) and you cant see the the frame at all so it looks good... I have been meaning to post pictures but have been busy with the holidays and work... I will try to get them posted soon...
The height is almost perfect with the 2 lifts and tires... I went with the KUMHO Road Venturer M/T's love them...

Hey, thanks for the PM to bring me back to this forum and the thread. Sorry it took a bit, notification went to my spam folder.

So here goes. When I had my '05 EB I ran 265's, both stock and with the RB spacers. Could I have fit 285's? Short answer, yes. Would I recommend it, no. There is a reason none of the big name lift companies have not made a lift for these for trucks. All of the problems you will run into. I pulled my spacers after blowing both upper front ball joints and tearing the boots, as well as the stress on my front CV's.
I also had really bad scoring on my rear axle shafts from them rubbing on the frame loops. On top of all that, it rode like crap. Can you do it? Yes. Would I recommend it? Not at all. If you want to lift for bigger tires a BL is the safe way to go.

Yes !!! 285 will clear with no problems with a spacer lift. problem is you do not have enough adjustment in the upper control arms to get the camber and caster right. I had to fab brackets and mount my upper arms above the factory mounting point. And with a 3 inch body lifted added you can clear 315's... And an added note. Do not ever use wheel spacers. A very close friend died when his wheel broke off. Insurnce and state police investagaters concluded it was the spacers stressing the ball joints. This was on a stock o5 with factory wheels and tires.

Spacers alone no. I have the truxx spacers and a 2" body lift but still get a rub at full lock.

I pulled my spacers after blowing both upper front ball joints and tearing the boots, as well as the stress on my front CV's.
I also had really bad scoring on my rear axle shafts from them rubbing on the frame loops.

Thank you for the information. From what I've researched there were a lot of issues with the Road Bully spacers. They seem to create too much of a lift. Looks like a lot of people have had success using 2.25"/1.75" BTF Coil Spacers which don't lift high enough to tear boots or score the rear axles. Also, the safety concerns with front upper ball joints seem to be addressed with the use of BTF upper control arms. A 265 tire can be installed on the stock rim, but 285 tires require a wheel spacer or an aftermarket rim. Again, this is just based on threads I have read.

I'm okay with a small amount of rubbing a full lock and would like to install the following setup:

- 2.25"/1.75" BTF Coil Spacers
- BTF upper control arms
- Stock 17" Rims with 1.5" Wheel spacers
- Zip tie plastic to minimize rubbing
- 285/70/17 BFGoodrich Mud Terrains

Will I have issues with this setup?

I do not want to do a body lift.

Should I just leave it stock and go with a 265/70/17 tire?

Thanks for all the feedback!

Thank you for the information. From what I've researched there were a lot of issues with the Road Bully spacers. They seem to create too much of a lift. Looks like a lot of people have had success using 2.25"/1.75" BTF Coil Spacers which don't lift high enough to tear boots or score the rear axles. Also, the safety concerns with front upper ball joints seem to be addressed with the use of BTF upper control arms. A 265 tire can be installed on the stock rim, but 285 tires require a wheel spacer or an aftermarket rim. Again, this is just based on threads I have read.

I'm okay with a small amount of rubbing a full lock and would like to install the following setup:

- 2.25"/1.75" BTF Coil Spacers
- BTF upper control arms
- Stock 17" Rims with 1.5" Wheel spacers
- Zip tie plastic to minimize rubbing
- 285/70/17 BFGoodrich Mud Terrains

Will I have issues with this setup?

I do not want to do a body lift.

Should I just leave it stock and go with a 265/70/17 tire?

Thanks for all the feedback!

If you are going to go all out with the BTF arms and spacers you 'should' be ok. I know that when Brandon first started his spacers he spent quite a bit of time trying out different sizes to see what worked best and caused the fewest issues. And that's when it became apparent that something had to be done about the upper control arms as well.

At the end of the day it's your truck and if you want to lift it and run bigger tires go for it. You seem to have a good idea of what you're getting into and are willing to spend the money to do it right. As for wheel spacers, if you're going to use those get good ones. I have run Spidertrax on my Jeeps for over 2 years without any issues. Just install PROPERLY and recheck torque every rotation. Good luck with everything.

bought some new 20x9 rims with a -12 offset and came across a set of 33x12.50r20 toyo mud terrains for a GOOD deal and am trying to see if they would fit on my explorer once I put my 2.25/ 1.75 btf spacers in. Im not worried about a lil rubbing but ANY INSIGHT IS APPRECIATED OR A LINK TO A GOOD THREAD TO READ.

We used new torsion bars to lift my daughter sport trac in the front plus rearched springs to lift the back of her 2002 sport track. We pit 265 75 16 tires on itcand ended up using 1 inch spacers to keep it from rubbing. I think that we are going to get rims with a bigger revers to solve the problem as I really dont likecthecspacers as they cause some bearing issues. Hopefully all of this info helps also the truck now rides like a tank so be prepared for that also.

Back