Will Sport Trac front hitch fit on 96-2001 XLT? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will Sport Trac front hitch fit on 96-2001 XLT?

Darksoldier

Reaction score
City, State
BRISTOL RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT 4.0 4x4
I need to get a front hitch for my Explorer to mount my winch. I have a 1996 XLT with a 2000 front bumper. The only one I can find which is still available hangs down under the bumper and will be a disaster off road. I did notice there is one available for the Sport Trac that would come thru the bumper the way I want. Curt 31407 Security Check
I thought the Sport Trac was supposed to be pretty much the same frame but I'm not really sure. It's not listed to fit my Explorer. Does anyone know if this would fit my Explorer or if it could be made to fit without too much trouble? Maybe someone knows of another one or maybe one of those adjustable ones that would fit the way I want?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it would fit other than the hitch not matching the opening. I’d stay away from the adjustable ones for winching. There’s a fair amount of room in there, you could probably bolt up a universal channel pretty easily, and it wouldn’t stick out like any receiver mount will. Even if it’s up off the ground it’ll be the first thing crushed in even the smallest crash.

I think it would fit other than the hitch not matching the opening. I’d stay away from the adjustable ones for winching. There’s a fair amount of room in there, you could probably bolt up a universal channel pretty easily, and it wouldn’t stick out like any receiver mount will. Even if it’s up off the ground it’ll be the first thing crushed in even the smallest crash.
I really want to be able to throw it on the back when needed so I don't want it permanently mounted behind the bumper. Do you know for sure if the width between the front frame rails on the Sport Trac is the same as my Explorer?

No.

Back