Will the timing chain problem ever cease? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will the timing chain problem ever cease?

jf26

Reaction score
City, State
qwanville, wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 sohc xlt 4x4
Just a comment on my experience thus far. I had the timing chain/cam tensioners replaced august of 2000. It fixed that "desiel" engine noise thats persistant on cold startups. Well it's back.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take it back to the dealer and have them fix it again. It should all be free of charge, there is a Technical Service Bulletin out on it from Ford.

Do a search on here for more info.

Had to have mine done twice!

Mine three times. The last time was November, 2000 when the revised warranty was announced. This is the longest that mine has been this quiet. Unless your tensioners were replaced after around October 2000, the noise will probably come back.

I've been living with my cam tensioner noise since it was diagnosed at 65K miles. At 75K miles today, I'm past my extended warranty on this 97 XLT SOHC.

Anyone know if I am still covered due to the TSB?

Thanks in advance.

I guess it now depends on whether or not it is your cam tensioners or your cam guide. The program 00M12 covers your tensioners for 6 years/72K miles. However, up until April 30, 2001 there was no mileage limit. If you have a sympathetic dealer they might let it slide. If it is you guide that is making the noise, the program 01M01 extended their warranty to 7 years/100K miles so you are covered on it. Only way to know for sure now is to take it to Ford and talk to them.

In my opinion, yes but then it would be another problem so...

Robert

i just want to say that my X just passed 100,000 /160,000 km on the clock a few days ago and i just now receive this letter fore the 01m01 recall for 7 years or 100,00 miles or 160,000 kms.

I called Ford and they advised me to see my dealer asap as i'm only like 200 km over the 160,000 km limit.

Is there any justice in having the guides changed 200km out of the recall or am i "screwed" ?

I just took my truck in for the tire recall and the clocked it last week at 159,830 km. Can this help me at all ?

Does your letter have a post mark on it indicating the date it cleared your post office? If so, it might gain you some points with the dealer. I would definately call them as soon as you can to explain that you just got the letter 2 days after you went over the mileage limit.

I have had three tensioners and jus had the jack shaft replaced which is part of the cam/chain assembly. It's obviously a bad design so keep going back until the warranty is out.

I'm not even driving my truck now because i don't want to put any more miles on the clock ..

Mabey in a week i can take it in to my dealer and figure this out.

On the other recall there was a time period of unlimited milage and on this recall there is not, i wonder why they did it like that ?

Thanks

Can anyone email me a copy of the letter that you are talking about please. I would appreciate it
thanks

I dont think they will EVER get it right... Even the new 2003 explorer we had in CO ticked in the front.

Chow, if you have't yet, try PMing Robert above. I know he posted a copy of one of the letters he scanned into a thread a while ago. He may still have it..., or try searching using his name and see if you can find the thread.

Back