Will these tires clear 285/75/16 EB 2000 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will these tires clear 285/75/16 EB 2000

roverz

Reaction score
City, State
Bay Area, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 EB
So I have taken this hobby as far as i can without taking the next step and getting some decent Tires and clearance over what i have now.

Current Ride 2000 EB 4.0 SOHC
Warrior 153 & 2" TT lift

I would like to add 285/75/16 to my truck to replace the 255/75/16 it is running now and know that i have to get a little extra clearance for them.

The question is if i can go with a 2" or 3 " Body lift as i am not ready to make the plunge for SAS, SOA or Coil overs conversion. Although one day i do hope to do that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anybody please advise?

With the TT lift and no body lift, a 285/75/16 will rub. It will clear pointing straight ahead, but with steering input it will rub the rear side of the fender trim.

Do you think a 2" Body lift will clear with steering or should i just bite the bullet and put on a 3" lift? The reason why I am avoiding is eventually i do want to do a SOA swap but not for a good 1-2 years i think.

Do you think a 2" Body lift will clear with steering or should i just bite the bullet and put on a 3" lift? The reason why I am avoiding is eventually i do want to do a SOA swap but not for a good 1-2 years i think.

I think you need the 3" . Reason being I have seen 33's cause rubbing even with a 3" lift. You might still need to trim a tad, but it should be in the plastic area.

Ok next follow up question, Just ordered a 16x8 Cragar soft 8 with 5" backspacing for the 285/75/16 and the 3" body lift 883 and 2" TT + warrior shakles.

Is the Backspacing correct? Now i am wondering if i should have ordered it with 4.5 Inch or 4 inch backspacing?

ok the next question now goes back to earlier posts about the rim size, my EB currently has the 16 alloy rim on it but i have decided to go with Crager steels soft 8 instead and i am trying to decide between staying with a 16 rim or going with a 15inch rim.

There seems to be some good posts on this obviously the cost of 15 rims and tires is a benefit but also some posts talk about more sidewall material for airing down and a little less stiff then the 16 tires.

Any thoughts on this guys and gals?

Anybody have any Opinion on 15 or 16 rims and tires before i proceed?

Back