DSC00670.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 4,108
  • DSC00671.jpg
    DSC00671.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 4,072
  • DSC00672.jpg
    DSC00672.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 8,252

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah I like the idea, what do you do now? I remember you said you were going to rig up the old spare winch? Will that thing hold 120lbs?

I guess the lugs would been from the back? then you could loosen once folded down (or have a cover hub plate that it would bolt to) then lower the tire down?

Seems like a lot, however, it's beter then lifiting the tire up. I know from lifting mine in and out of the truck. :(

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Yeah I like the idea, what do you do now? I remember you said you were going to rig up the old spare winch? Will that thing hold 120lbs?

I guess the lugs would been from the back? then you could loosen once folded down (or have a cover hub plate that it would bolt to) then lower the tire down?

Seems like a lot, however, it's beter then lifiting the tire up. I know from lifting mine in and out of the truck. :(
But don't you have to have the mount in the upright position in order to put the spare back?
Oh, I get it, the winch will pull it back into place and drop it down.....okay....me stupid. You are going to have to give a serious demonstration, maybe with a powerpoint video, for all the goodies on this rig.

But don't you have to have the mount in the upright position in order to put the spare back?
Oh, I get it, the winch will pull it back into place and drop it down.....okay....me stupid. You are going to have to give a serious demonistration, maybe with a powerpoint video, for all the goodies on this rig.

DA!!!!!!!!:p: Although stic-o was let in on that little secret already. More picture's to come, but not to night, Way pass my bed time!

Ouuu pictures to drool over ! :) Thanks for the update.

A few more picture's ------

With the help of the shock's, it's finger tip only to raise a 120 lb. tire back up to the up right position. Yes we are going to use a winch like procedure to lower and raise the tire to the ground when it's in the down position. Just like you would do when the spare tire is under your vehicle. The whole design concept was to keep the whole back tire carrier as clean looking as possible, but yet be able to hold the weight of a 40" tire and that a single person could lift and remove the tire themselves. Will post more picture's when we get the winch lift in ( still waiting for it to be shipped). One more new major item is coming this week also, can't wait for it to come!! will post picture's of it also.

DSC00869.JPG

DSC00870.JPG

sorry for spilling the beans... just didn't understand how it was going to work from the pics...honestly, still not sure once the winch is on.

Maybe it's just me, but are we sure we're not just over thinking this? Just more things to break? over complicating?:(

Chillax, I'm sure Winter has it all covered.

If a design change needs to be done, then I'm sure he'll make it. If not, then instead he'll spend the day carving Mammoth :).
Plus every fabricator has his/her own unique way of doing things.

Whats important is we got pictures of the sexy white gloves -- mmmm, white gloves. How provocative.

sweet. So we got the tire carrier covered with special mechanics to lower the tire, we got a special suspension system that when you flip the right levers you can make the truck lift one tire in the air while sitting on flat ground like a dog lifting it's leg to pee. I'm sure onboard air for removing lug nuts. Is there going to be a jib crane on the roof to lift up the tires onto the axle?

Very Creative. And very similar to all the changes I saw in the boating industry, the difference between an epic fail and a super trick new product was the actual reliability. I see this tire carrier having manual locking pins in all the right spots to make it realiable.

Oh, and what happened to this part?

Now I bet you're starting to remember why you don't post progress photos on the forum. Too many 3rd base coaches.

DSC00861.JPG

IZ, I got Purple ones, I can send you:p:

How about mounting an ATV winch where the pivot is now, with a block at the top and run the cable through the rim mount. That will lift the tire to the mount, then pull the mount up to the pin latch. 2 functions with the same winch?

(bleacher coach out)

Now I bet you're starting to remember why you don't post progress photos on the forum. Too many 3rd base coaches.
Personally, I think progress pics are worth more than shots of the finished product. Ideas are not always correct, but there's a good chance some of them are and eventually some one out there is going to pick up the concepts and either copy them or make improvements. If all the pics we see are of the finished product, then we miss the details of how this thing exactly went together - the modified rear frame rail for example is probably something I wouldn't have seen if all we saw was a finished product.

EDIT -- and maybe its just me but I look at progress pics differently. I look at things like how the tubes were interesected, how the gussets were designed, where the stresses might end up at, and so on.

sweet. So we got the tire carrier covered with special mechanics to lower the tire, we got a special suspension system that when you flip the right levers you can make the truck lift one tire in the air while sitting on flat ground like a dog lifting it's leg to pee. I'm sure onboard air for removing lug nuts. Is there going to be a jib crane on the roof to lift up the tires onto the axle?

Very Creative. And very similar to all the changes I saw in the boating industry, the difference between an epic fail and a super trick new product was the actual reliability. I see this tire carrier having manual locking pins in all the right spots to make it realiable.

Oh, and what happened to this part?

Hi Iz....
Danny the top tube is not yet complete it will rap around. Progress pics. are hard, I think because it is hard to figure out the details when you are not looking at a finished product. Also Danny you are totally right when you say reliability. The main reason I chose this design was for the strength and durability. I know my Ideas are crazy some times however, I am a believer in simple and to make simple sometimes requires lots of detail. I can only say I can't lift a 40" tire by my self and if I need to change a flat on the side of the freeway or on the trail I may be alone.
P.S. The shock you see in the pics. are just like the one on your rear hatch....Cheap, so why not?:thumbsup:

LOL hi Winter .. *ass slap*

LOL hi Winter .. *ass slap*
Iz sure loves that *ass slap*:D:mattmoon: Myself, not so much......:dunno:
Winter's attention to detail is not understood by us simple folk.:wavey:

I can only say I can't lift a 40" tire by my self and if I need to change a flat on the side of the freeway or on the trail I may be alone.

A: Never wheel alone
B: Carry AAA:p: and act dumb

Here you go Stic-o, the winch system came in today. The second picture is just one possible way of mounting it, that could change though. And yes it will hold 120 lbs.

DSC00875.JPG

DSC00876.JPG

This also came in today.:D:D:D Currie's new F9 Fab housing!!!!!!!!!!

DSC00874.JPG

DSC00873.JPG

Very nice, that lift idea reminds me of a ride-a-round lift I installed in my mom's van about 6 years ago. It was rated for up to 400 lbs and was electric with a swing out winch arm. The only shortfall was it used a nylon strap like a tow cable. But it was solid and strong as heck! She accidently bent the rear steel bumper up on her E-350 van when one of wheelie bars on her ride-a-round caught it while being lifted by it. I never thought about using it for a tire lift, but I certainly entertained the thoughts of making a toolbox lift out of it!! It was a Bruno model.

Back