Will your 2.3L XLT bark the tires when it hits second gear? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will your 2.3L XLT bark the tires when it hits second gear?

Jettech498

Reaction score
City, State
Morrow
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Ford Explorer XLT
The other day the roads were empty and my curiosity got the best of me. So I stopped on a level surface, held the brake with my left foot while bringing the revs to 3K rpm to get the turbo spun up. I let off the brake and at the same time buried the throttle. The rear tires spun for about a second or so then it hooked up, milliseconds later it hit second gear and chirped the rear tires. I was like no way while laughing to myself. So I did it again to make sure it wasn't a one off fluke, it did the exact same thing....lol...this was in sport mode with traction control turned off...... Now I really love Big Red as we call her. I know I'm such a kid at heart but that was cool as hell.... Has anyone else tried this? You wouldn't believe how fast these 2.3L engines are. It boggles my mind.... So let me tell you the behind the scenes stuff. 93 octane, Sport mode, traction control off. Then let her rip....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I should have explained the behind the scenes stuff better so here it is. Dry surface, 93 octane, sport mode, traction control off, left foot hard on the brake, right foot bringing the revs up to 3K rpm, simultaneously let off the brake and bury the throttle (right foot to the floor) and hang on while watching it do it's magic and try not to giggle....lol.... Next month I hit the double nickels for age. I never want to grow up.....lol...

I got to the double-nickel on the interstate last weekend, trying to get far enough in front of a truck so I didn't cut him off. Also pulled my utility trailer for the first time with a load (new JD S170). Perhaps wishful thinking, but it seemed to have less trouble than my Ram with a similar load.

I got to the double-nickel on the interstate last weekend, trying to get far enough in front of a truck so I didn't cut him off. Also pulled my utility trailer for the first time with a load (new JD S170). Perhaps wishful thinking, but it seemed to have less trouble than my Ram with a similar load.
I don't think it's wishful thinking. I am so impressed with that 2.3L engine. It has far surpassed my expectations in every category.

Is yours AWD or RWD?

I suspect there isn't enough torque to chirp all four.

I don't think it's wishful thinking. I am so impressed with that 2.3L engine. It has far surpassed my expectations in every category.
Too bad the tranny's so quirky.

Too bad the tranny's so quirky.
If you have tranny problems just unhook the battery for 5 or 10 minutes then don't baby it and it will learn how to behave better haha

I suspect there isn't enough torque to chirp all four.
I think you're right sir. I give that 2.3L a ton of respect. But don't think it will chirp all 4. I doubt it. Perhaps I'm wrong, I am a lot of times. But I don't think a 4 wheel chirp will happen. Now I've seen videos of the 3.0 with a chip and other mods doing a 4 wheel chirp and then some. Those engines are beasts.....will just a little upgrade those with the 3.0L can basically leave anything in the dust....Good for them..

If you have tranny problems just unhook the battery for 5 or 10 minutes then don't baby it and it will learn how to behave better haha
No tranny problems here. She's smooth as silk. Unless you use 87 octane gas. Then all bets are off.

I just brought a 2021 Green Explorer Timberline for my wife this week. We had the dealer put in our Amsoil 5w30 ss, amsoil transfer case, and front/rear differential. I also run the Archoil ar6200 in the fuel tank with 91 octane. This 2.3 moves suprisingly quick. I was worried with the bigger tires on the Timberline would really bog the 2.3. But not at all, I mean this car rips.

Next up is 5 star tuning, upgrade the intercooler. I would love to upgrade the turbo to something a little bigger, but Ill wait until the warranty is over. Wife absolutely loves the Timberline.

The other day the roads were empty and my curiosity got the best of me. So I stopped on a level surface, held the brake with my left foot while bringing the revs to 3K rpm to get the turbo spun up. I let off the brake and at the same time buried the throttle. The rear tires spun for about a second or so then it hooked up, milliseconds later it hit second gear and chirped the rear tires. I was like no way while laughing to myself. So I did it again to make sure it wasn't a one off fluke, it did the exact same thing....lol...this was in sport mode with traction control turned off...... Now I really love Big Red as we call her. I know I'm such a kid at heart but that was cool as hell.... Has anyone else tried this? You wouldn't believe how fast these 2.3L engines are. It boggles my mind.... So let me tell you the behind the scenes stuff. 93 octane, Sport mode, traction control off. Then let her rip....
Gotta luv that Ecoboost!

No tranny problems here. She's smooth as silk. Unless you use 87 octane gas. Then all bets are off.
Which has nothing to do with the transmission.

Which has nothing to do with the transmission.
Actually it does in a weird way. Let's say you have 87 octane in it and you merge onto and onramp with your foot to the floor. Between the engine trying to dial back the boost and the 10 speed tranny trying to find the right gear, it can get a little bit of a weird surge going on. That's never happened to me when using 93 octane fuel.

Back