Will4vols Solid Axle Swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will4vols Solid Axle Swap

So I started my swap at the end of may. I am now ready to weld the mounts on! I got my axle out of a 85 grand wagoneer, it's the 6 lug I'm currently tryin to figure out how to mount the steering box..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice. Pictures? More info about parts used?

i'm currntly trying to find a pitman arm to fit from my 1998 4runner steering box to the steering assembly on the grand waggoneer steering parts

Sounds similar to my build. I used a 44 from an 88 grand wagoneer. I ended up with super duty steering components so unfortunately I can't really offer help with the pitman arm/ steering box mounting. I look forward to the build pics.

I've decided to go with the waggy steering box, but I can't figure out an easy way to mount it, I'm havin problems drilling the holes in the right spot

Well I should have some pics up tonight, the spring mounts are all finished and welded on the truck, all that is left is mounting the steering, shock mounts and putting some longer shackles, anybody know what the best leaf springs to use are mine seem kind of soft... And also I'm thinking of going with spartan or lock rite lockers anybody know anything abut though's??

I haven't used the spartan lockers, I have used the loc-rites in various trucks over the years and they never gave me any trouble.

I think I'm going to go with those
Here's my parts list
1985 Grand Wagoneer Dana 44 donor
Jeep YJ leaf springs I have the front and rear packs combined into 2 packs
I have lug converters in the back 5 on 4.5 to 6 on 5.5
I'm wanting to keep the springs under, cause I'm trying to keep a good center of gravity

Back