• Register Today It's free!

Wimpy Horn ?!

schlepper65

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeville, Minnesota USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XL
Hello/ I have a basic '97 Explorer XL 4DR 5-speed manual (power nothing-- all manual), and I have noticed that the horn on this thing is quite wimpy! Not that I use it much, but it sounds like something that you'd hear on a Honda Civic or a Kia or something.. My old '94 Explorer had a "real" sounding horn-- it gave a good solid two-chime blast. Just curious if the horn on my '97 is busted, or if that is how they all sound??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't like the horn on my 2002..my 2001 jetta I had sounded more beefy.
But my Explorer does not sound Hondaish though.

i have a 97xlt and the horn is real loud. maybe your horn is on the way out? not sure if this happens, but it might be it.

Sounds like your high and low tone horns aren't both working, just the high. When my horns died, I replaced them with an aftermarket 139db horn. It is extremely loud, but I'm not very happy with it. Sounds like the stock high tone horn except really loud, with just a little low tone mixed in. I need just to get a stock replacement set and put them in.

Mine on my '93 sounds decent. I assume the 95+ would sound similar. If you think the stock horn is puny, you should really hear a 84 Toyota Tercel. It's so puny it actually funny to hear it!! :eek:

Back