Winch and Snorkle finally on and trail tested | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winch and Snorkle finally on and trail tested

BUCHVILLEMAN

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Buckville, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
95' xlt
finally on and tested! bumper is one thrid done... when complete it will have lower stout wrap around pieces and brush guards over the lights. i want to be able to plow through the deer without any probs.

it is a milemarker e9000 that a got Davy's Offroad Ebay Store.

the snorkle works liek a charm. had it in 3'-4' deep water all day yesterday no problem. i have one of those kkm induction kits with open element conical filters. its about 5.5” wide and is made out of stout rubber on the base. i got a piece of 6” PVC and stuck the filter in it - it was a tight squeeze so i just cut 4 slits in teh pipe and put a big hose clamp on it - it cant pull out. then from teh 6” PVC i used a stove pipe reduced to go from 6” to 3”. then to 3” RV drainage hose - nearly uncollapsable. ran that inside the fender through the existing airhole (i took out th estock air director that was below the headlight) then back to towards the passenger door. i used a 3” hole saw and then tin snips where i snipped .5” slits every .75” or so. then took linepliers and bent the slits down this made nice tabs to mount the actuall out snorkel to. the outer piece is is just 3” PVC. I made a mounting plate to cover the hole out of marineply (made it on the lathe so its perfectly round). PVC is fastened to the mounting plate and the moutning plate is fastened to the fender. there is also a big hose clamp that i used to mount to the fender about 3/4 of the way up. all joints were sealed with silicone and wrapped in duct tape.

wheeled all day sunday in the trails around san pedro bay florida - its nothing but muddy marsh and mud holes. it gave me the perfect oportunity to get stuck in a live situation and get out under my own power.

3winch2-med.jpg

(havent tightened or adjusted my aux lights yet - a little crossed eyed looking)

3snorkle2-med.jpg

the top piece is not glued so i actually turn it while wheeling. highway driving i turn it back as seen in the pic.

3yehawwinchboy2-med.jpg

snorkle, winch, and 1/3 bumper grill guard all for less than $500. i feel like im the martha stewart of 4x4

i fabbed the grill guard myself. ill have to take some detailed pics in the sunlight. i used 4”x.25” flat bar and cut a 3degree angle in it. flipped one piece over to create a 6 degree bend. welded that together for the uprights. basically wrapped that in 2”x.25” flat bar using torch to heat and bend then weld. the winch is mounted to 6” channel iron and adapted to frame with a plate i made from angle iron and flat bar... its very very meaty. mounted with 4 .5” grade 8 bolts per side.

heres a pic of what i used the winch for last night... too awesome i love this thing.
3farmingwinch-med.jpg

we were setting a submersable pump with 60’ of pipe and shaft in the well. the pump weighs about 300lbs and all together it was prolly 1000lbs. On the last section the tractor front end lifted off of the ground. was a great lesson in leverage and pulleys and whatnot. 4000lb explorer lifting a 15000lb tractor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where did you get the winch? And how much did you pay? Thanks.

Your truck looks good!

Thats a damn nice price with the roller.. On the site they sell for $545. Great looking truck and nice pics.. Keep havin fun.

Does that have IFS? what size wheels and tires do you have on? did you have to lift it or what

BigRath04 said:
Does that have IFS? what size wheels and tires do you have on? did you have to lift it or what

Dana 30 solid axle front. So that means no more IFS. To my knowledge he's running 35's. In the back of the truck its lifted by SOA spring over axle..

Very cool dude. How tuff was that straight axle conversion?

howd you run the piping for the snorkel? I was thinking of doing something like that but w/0 running it through the fender so i could use a larger diameter pipe = less air restriction..

looks good!

Back