winch mount on a CRL Customs bumper | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

winch mount on a CRL Customs bumper

Well, i started the assembly of my winch mount today. Here are the pieces i'm using.

2287im001148-1.jpg

1/2" holes
2287im001149-1.jpg

2287im001150-1.jpg

And the almost finished product:
2287im001154-1.jpg

I'm going to stitch weld that 1/4" plate on the top of the 2 pieces of angle.

The bolt pattern of my winch is 10 by 4.5". I'm getting a Warn M8000. Pretty cheap winch, and it's good to get me through what i'll use it for.

Anyways, the bolts will bold through the diamond plate, 1/4" plate, and the 1/4" angle.

The whole assembly will fit right inside the bumper and will be covered by this diamond plate that is already on there.

2287im001147-1.jpg

Give me some suggestions here, am i headed in the right direction?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alright, that sounds like a plan. Now, you mentioned gussets. Where would i put those?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Originally posted by JoshC
Alright, that sounds like a plan. Now, you mentioned gussets. Where would i put those?

Wherever you think they would best help to keep those c-channels from deflecting.

FYI a grade 50 1/2" bolt ultimate shear strength is around 9,800-pounds, (area of steel X steel strength = ultimate shear strength). I would be more concerned about plate steel and weld strength.

Thanks unclemeat. That's what i wanted to know.

Originally posted by unclemeat
I would be more concerned about plate steel and weld strength.

Are you saying that you are concerned about the welds and steel, or that the bolts will last longer then the bracket?

Originally posted by JoshC
Thanks unclemeat. That's what i wanted to know.

Are you saying that you are concerned about the welds and steel, or that the bolts will last longer then the bracket?

He is saying that it is more probable that the plate will bend/pull apart or have welds break/crack before the bolt bends/breaks.

That's what i thought, just making sure.

This is the first project i've had for my welder/welding that will be supporting something important.....hope it holds :D

Josh,
It'll be fine. Just make sure you are standing in front of the winch for the first test so you can see if any of your welds crack. :D

Riiiiiiight. I'll remember that!! lol

Well i got the winch mounted tonight. I'll talk more about it when the right picture comes up.

Attachments

• im001162.jpg
    im001162.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 337

Attachments

• im001163.jpg
    im001163.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 316

Here's the 3/8 diamond plate cut out. That was a huge pain in the butt to cut.

Attachments

• im001164.jpg
    im001164.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 368

Finally the winch sitting where it belongs! It was a lot of work for one man to get this stuff lined up and bolted up.

Attachments

• im001165.jpg
    im001165.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 373

Just a side picture. I think it lined up pretty good myself, especially for a first timer!

Attachments

• im001166.jpg
    im001166.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 327

Looks great Josh! I think it improved the look of the bumper. Are you still planning on remote mounting the box?

This piece was tore up when i got it out of the box. It has been dropped, so i'm kind of bumbed. I guess i can buy that part from Warn?? I'm going to try to anyways.

Attachments

• im001167.jpg
    im001167.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 317

Thanks Kent! I appriciate it. I do plan on mounting to box somewhere else. I'm going to get back on it in the morning. I'm also going to try to get the roller mounted. I picked up some 3/16 angle, but i really want some 1/4 so i'm going to try to get some tomorrow.

Shipping claim! They might cash you out and you could still keep the winch. Warn should have extra parts, they are a good company to deal with. Interestingly enough, they don't carry the grey paint. There's a company they will refer you to on the east coast that produces the exact color.

Yeah i think i'll give UPS a call in the morning. The box was TRASHED when i got it today.

Looks good!

And yeah I think Warn will sell you anything you want for it...I went to buy the lock for the lever to disengage the cable...the place told me they could get any part for a Warn if I have the number.

Back