winch

Regulator_XLS

Reaction score
City, State
Barrie, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLS
is an 8000lb winch enough or should i wait for a 10,000

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

this is a good article to read for some winch tips. i read it and found alot of things i didnt even think of. check it out it may help you in determining whic winch to get.....for example are you going to be using it to pull up a grade, in deep mud or snow, or what ever. obviously a stuck rig is heavier to pull than a flat level pull with fully inflated tires.

www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Recovery/

steve

here is some of the figures i found interesting: remember your truck probably weighs around 4,000 lbs
LW = loaded weight

Surface resistance
A pull of 1/10 LW will cause a free wheeling truck to move on a hard, level surface.

A pull of 1/3 LW will cause a free wheeling truck to move on a softer surface, such as grass or gravel,

Damage resistance:
A pull of 2/3 LW will be required to move if the wheels cannot rotate (as if the brakes were fully applied), the pull required to overcome the resistance (drag) the truck id 2/3 or 67% of the LW. Damage resistance includes surface resistance (i.e. you only use one or the other)

Stuck (mire) resistance:
A pull of 100% of LW will be required if the truck is stuck to a depth of the sidewall on the tires.

A pull of 200% of LW will be required if the truck is stuck to the hubs.

A pull of 300% of LW will be required if the truck is stuck to the frame..

Mire resistance includes damage resistance (i.e. you only use one or the other)

Grade (slope) resistance:
Upgrade (vehicle has to be recovered up a slope or grade)

15 degrees - add 25% of LW

30 degrees - add 50% of LW

45 degrees - add 75% of LW

Vehicle recovery on level ground - no correction

Downgrade (vehicle has to be recovered down a slope or grade)

15 degrees - subtract 25% of LW

30 degrees - subtract 50% of LW

45 degrees - subtract 75% of LW

I bought a 6000lb when i was on 33s and it worked fine. I am now running my 36s and the only thing the winch has done is slowed down just a little. Does not get hot either. I want 12000lb but money is not there as of now. If you can wait i would.

Back