Winches for the 2003 model Explorer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winches for the 2003 model Explorer.

Reaction score
City, State
Canberra, Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
XLT V8 - 2003 model
Hi guys

I'm having trouble getting a winch for the truck in Australia. You can't buy a winch-compatible bull bar for the Explorer in Australia so I was looking for a winch cradle and perhaps a portable one.

I know Warn do a cradle for a winch at 9,500 pounds, so I was wondering if any of you had fitted one. One of the queries is the air bag system and making sure it is all legal with Australian requirements and specs. I have a bash plate fitted to the underside of the car, so protection of the cradle itself wouldn't be an issue.

I don't get the chance to rave about the car very often as they just don't go off road in Australia and I wonder why.....

You can't buy basically anything for the Explorer in Australia, they are considered a soft off road car, despite my protestations that (with a blasted LIFT KIT) it would be equal to the Cruiser or Patrol. I've taken mine into some great places, crossing the Simpson Desert and all through the Victorian High Country. I take great pleasure showing people the shots of her climbing vertical sand dunes. I'll get of my soap-box now....

Once I get the winch, the truck will have the following fitted:
- shelves (storage system);
- 200L available fuel tanks;
- cargo barrier;
- air compressor;
- fridge slide;
- tyres big enough to lift it the maximum legal height in Australia (16mm I think); and
- King Springs (another inch of height).

She is a top little car and we are headed into the Flinders Ranges (in South Australia) camping for 3 weeks over Easter. Should be great.

Any advice on the winch would be great.

Cheers

Louise.

Back