Wind / Whistle Noise from Front Door / Mirror? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wind / Whistle Noise from Front Door / Mirror?

This begs the next question for Blwnsmoke, is the new ps mirror the same or different design to the one shown in post #7?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This begs the next question for Blwnsmoke, is the new ps mirror the same or different design to the one shown in post #7?

Still 2 different mounts. I do not believe they replaced the arm that extends out, just the mirror that's sits on top. I didnt get my paperwork yet (both insulator under hood and rear air deflector are on order) so I can't confirm if both mirror and base were replaced or mirror. I believe again, just the part that folds in when locked was replaced.

20200321_182212.jpg
20200321_182202.jpg

It appears that the new one and the one in post #7 have a different mount where it attaches to that triangular part that attaches to the vehicle. The new one looks like it has a smooth arm whereas the old one has a bit of a notch furthest from the front of the arm. piece They are not the same.

Peter

It appears that the new one and the one in post #7 have a different mount where it attaches to that triangular part that attaches to the vehicle. The new one looks like it has a smooth arm whereas the old one has a bit of a notch furthest from the front of the arm. piece They are not the same.

Peter

I dont think so. I see nothing different besides the angle of the picture.

I went to the dealership and they replaced some moldings and the wind noise was gone. My theory though is that when it's warmer I don't hear the wind noise as much, so hard to say. It definitely reduced it down to zero though.

I dont think so. I see nothing different besides the angle of the picture.
This is the area I was looking at. Perhaps it was just the angle.

Peter
mirror2.jpg

Still 2 different mounts. I do not believe they replaced the arm that extends out, just the mirror that's sits on top. I didnt get my paperwork yet (both insulator under hood and rear air deflector are on order) so I can't confirm if both mirror and base were replaced or mirror. I believe again, just the part that folds in when locked was replaced.

View attachment 179477View attachment 179478
To anyone this helps, I found that my ST’s wind noise/whistle goes away when placing a piece of tape over this seam circled here. FYI when the mirror folds the tape will just fall off so I haven’t found a permanent way to fix this myself yet.

Attachments

• 08FA7922-09B8-4A37-AE45-9F309CF8A62F.jpeg
    08FA7922-09B8-4A37-AE45-9F309CF8A62F.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 212

To anyone this helps, I found that my ST’s wind noise/whistle goes away when placing a piece of tape over this seam circled here. FYI when the mirror folds the tape will just fall off so I haven’t found a permanent way to fix this myself yet.

They make temporary caulk for windows/doors etc. It is clear and peels off easy, not wrecking paint etc. You could totally try that in the seam and see if it helps.

Could you glue a narrow rubber (for example) strip to the base of the mirror to create a small flap? It would have to come down a little over the mirror's base.

Peter

Would that not come off when the mirror folds?

Peter

This suggests that there is sometimes a gap between the mirror and the base it rotates on. Is there a way to tighten or close the gap?

I have this whisting noise from that side. Trying to tape off various areas. Nothing has worked so far.

I have notice that i get a whistling sound on the driver side when drive 55 or higher. It goes and comes, but when windy and high speed i get it. I made sure all window are closed and doors closed any thoughts ? Thank you.

Update. Took Explorer to Service and they found that the D/S door gasket is not hitting door ordered new gasket waiting for it to come in sand hope that was it.

Mine has had the drivers door wind noise from day one. I need to take it in I guess. Mine happens above 70 though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update. Took Explorer to Service and they found that the D/S door gasket is not hitting door ordered new gasket waiting for it to come in sand hope that was it.
New gasket installed noise still there. It will be going back tomorrow Monday and they can keep it until this is resolved.

Back