Wind / Whistle Noise from Front Door / Mirror? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wind / Whistle Noise from Front Door / Mirror?

Pkskull77

Reaction score
City, State
Branchburg
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 ST
Just picked up my Explorer ST a few weeks ago, and I'm enjoying the truck. However, I'm running into a strange issue. At low speeds, roughly 25 mph, you can hear a distinct whistling from the front passenger side door. At highway speeds, the whistle becomes more of a fluttering. I looked the door over closely, and didn't see any obvious causes.

I had the car at the dealership last week for the issue,and though they claimed to have fixed it, the sound persists. Going back later this week to take a drive with the service manager.

Anyone experiencing something similar? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, we have a thread for this issue. Few members reported a whistling sound coming out from passanger front window. I am driving with front windows down, but never heard any whistling noise. I put on 850 miles.

Just picked up my Explorer ST a few weeks ago, and I'm enjoying the truck. However, I'm running into a strange issue. At low speeds, roughly 25 mph, you can hear a distinct whistling from the front passenger side door. At highway speeds, the whistle becomes more of a fluttering. I looked the door over closely, and didn't see any obvious causes.

I had the car at the dealership last week for the issue,and though they claimed to have fixed it, the sound persists. Going back later this week to take a drive with the service manager.

Anyone experiencing something similar? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

I have not brought mine in yet for this exact issue. Let me know if they fix it and what it was.

Thanks for the note, I took a peek at the Delivery Issues thread and see there are a few other folks with the issue.
I have not brought mine in yet for this exact issue. Let me know if they fix it and what it was.

Will do.

someone with the issue thought it was wind between the upper part of the mirror (that folds in) and the fixed lower portion. When the mirror is folded in, you can see a type of gasket on the lower part. You might try some heavy gasket lube to see if the sound changes or diminishes.

I have the same issue, between 20-55 mph is most notable. Since the driver's side doesn't make the sound, I compared the two sides and found the only obvious difference that could cause a difference in wind resistance is the driver's side has a fin shape off the mirror mount against the body whereas the passenger's side does not have this fin shape, but it's flat. (see attached pics)

It's possible the whistle sound was obvious during design/testing, so the Driver Side Engineering Team figured out how to solve it, yet the Passenger Side Engineering Team missed the aerodynamics class because they were more interested in making cool looking red brakes red so they weren't able to figure out how to solve the whistle sound. Hopefully the Passenger Side Engineering Team will get it resolved soon and we can get the replacement part.

IMG_0120.jpeg

IMG_0121.jpeg

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

i used to have it, but for some reason, after 3 months, it no longer is there. And i should know, I keep windows down whenever possible.

Never noticed the two mirror bases are different side to side. I think you are on to something.

Never noticed the two mirror bases are different side to side. I think you are on to something.
Obviously that would be due to climate change and wind directions silly...hence you cant hear it anymore. :/

Just looked at my 2020 Platinum, and the left and right rear-view mirrors are different from each other. They look like GC_ST's mirrors pictured above.

I haven't noticed any unusual passenger-door wind noise, but this is the first vehicle I've owned that came with mis-matched mirrors from the factory.

Everything is just speculation. Until we find the problem, who knows why some have the noise and some don't. The whistling is pretty obvious for those who are now listening for it to see if they can hear it.

I do know from having my exterior b-pillar trim replaced that it is assembled kind of cheaply...relying in large part on tape/adhesive. I don't think it's by accident that my whistling was much reduced after they fixed the b-pillar and disappeared completely shortly after.

had the wife drive me around as I tried obstructing different parts of the mirror and a-pillar. I'm not convinced of my original assessment now; placing my hand on the mirror mount (on a-pillar) didn't help eliminate the whistle. Only when I wrapped my hand over the front nose of the mirror did it go away. Moved my hand all around, but the only spot that eliminated it is the nose. Even tried just covering the seal where the mirror rotates but that didn't help either.

I believe you meant 'A' pillar.

Peter

Yes, I have the same issue. Dealership replaced the passenger mirror. Returned the car after 40 days and the noise is no different.

Yes, I have the same issue. Dealership replaced the passenger mirror. Returned the car after 40 days and the noise is no different.
Your dealer had the vehicle for 40 days for this??

Peter

I think he means he's had the vehicle for 40 days when it was taken into the shop to be repaired

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your dealer had the vehicle for 40 days for this??

Peter
Yes, at the dealer for 40 days. They also had to replace a defective headlamp

Back