Window Delete | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Window Delete

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone here has done a Rear Side Window Delete on their X? I want to turn that area into an equipment storage and don't want the glass. Any ideas on a "bolt-in", or is it going to be a "remove glass and weld sheet metal..."? Thanks for any advise!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I remember correct, the windows bolt in and theres a ton of black sealant. Depends how clean you want it to look I guess. I'm sure you could fab a panel with studs and bolt it on with sealant and still see where the window belongs, or cut a panel and build up the area with weld/bondo/whatever and have it look like a van.

You shouldnt have too much of a problem making a fill in panel for that area. It will really depend on how your fabrication skills are.

Yeah its all bolt in - just use the originals as templates to make a replacement :)

awesome, great info, thanks guys. I'll have to check it out this weekend!

So your going to make your explorer look like a panel delivery vehicle? because that would be cool. And if I'm reading this correctly, your going to replace the window with a metal replacement so it is still operational.

-Marc

It would look awesome on a 2 door, a 4 door might look funny.

I cant wait to see pics of this

hey this sounds like a relly cool mod. any updates
Danny

unfortunately I don't have a garage, and my work schedule and Oklahoma Weather havn't cooperated! lol I'll post some updates when I can get a decent weekend, or a garage...

Crappy sample using Paint...

panelexp.jpg

I kind of like that- it looks like a steroid'd up Pinto wagon!

I would hate the blind spot though. I have the back of mine blocked off with cardboard to keep the wind out while I chop the back. Can't see a damned thing...

mrpie, what part of oklahoma you from?
Posted via Mobile Device

Midwest City. Toypaseo, that looks awesome, thanks for the mock up!

More crappy Paint creations...

Rear door window delete:
exp2.jpg

Rear door delete:
exp3.jpg

Hey somebody stole my idea!!!

I'm just starting a 4-door to 2-door Panel conversion. But I'm doing a proper 2-door conversion by using the doors and B-pillers from a Sport

hey mr.pie. you could do what i did on my old E-150, just spray paint the window's from the inside. it's cheap and alot less work. and if you ever want window's again, it's just a matter of scraping it off with a flat razor.

hey mr.pie. you could do what i did on my old E-150, just spray paint the window's from the inside. it's cheap and alot less work. and if you ever want window's again, it's just a matter of scraping it off with a flat razor.

Yea except for the whole "glass breaks really easily" problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok call me dense but... glass breaking??? from what?

Back