Window issues, passenger side stuck down. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Window issues, passenger side stuck down.

Masterd

Reaction score
City, State
Upland, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport
Im having some issues with my passenger side window...I rolled it down while cleaning it earlier, and as luck would have it, she wont roll back up.

When I hit either switch, the motor clicks, and the volt gauge jumps, but no movement whatsoever. Does this sound like a motor/bushing issue to you guys, or the regulator?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you can hear the motor continue to run, yes. You should also be able to pull it back up and have it stay ...........if you can get hold of it. At least mine did. If that's it, they are and easy fix, IF you read the thread and IFdon't pull the armature out. No, I"m not gonna admit I did that.:p:

All it does is click, as in, when I press the button, I hear a click in the door. The motor doesnt spin or anything, just click.

*Edit* - Might I add this is pretty much the only time in 16 years / 292,000 miles the Exploder has left me unable to drive it.

The "scissor" inside the door may be stuck, or the motor is jammed another way. If it clicks like it's going to go, but you don't hear the motor spin, and the window doesn't move, that is probably your best bet.
If the motor spun freely, the bushings are dust.
If it makes a "thump, thump, thump" sound, your bushings are about to turn to dust..
If there is no sound or any other sign of movement, it's not getting power and the switches need to be checked.

There is a tutorial thread around here somewhere about how to get inside the door, pull the motor out and rebuild it.

EDIT: I tracked down that thread, Power Window Bushing Replacement with Pics
And my thread when I had a similar problem Power window issues.

I'm going to try and get the motor out today as see if its working or not.

I looked through the thread you linked to, and it looks to me like I shouldn't have to remove the regulator right? The motor can come out independently?

Ill try and get some pics of the door panel as well.

*EDIT*

Im going to rebush the motor, the motor was fine with no load on it,and the regulator moves freely...

The one thing I forgot is the orientation of the motor when I took it out...meaning I dont know how to put it back in.

I'm not sure, I never did mine, just been helping them up by hand.. lol

Got her done.

Works like a charm with new bushings.

For future reference to anyone doing this job, plug the motor back in when youre installing it back onto the rooster comb and use the switch to rotate the motor and mesh the teeth back on to the rooster comb.

Yeah it's on the to-do list, My alternator just went out this morning so now I have that to replace.. I really want to convert the front windows to crank style for reliability though..

Crank windows are too much work.

The window that died was a virgin too...original everything, even the plastic dust cover...16 years isnt bad, especially when it only needed a pack of bushings.

What has happened to mine is the cable broke and coiled and jammed up the works. So the motor did not spin. If the gauge jumps that much, my guess is the cable is bind a motor that is trying to work. You may need a complete regulator. My car had a 2x4 holding the window up.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248065

Back