Window Lock Stuck | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Window Lock Stuck

xdviper

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
With a 11 year old ride, anything can #### up. My power windows all work fine, all 4 are smooth and quiet. But the window lock on the drivers door is stuck on lock and non of the windows will move on their own unless I press it from the drivers door. This happened I guess after a recent rain storm, I kept the windows down too much and I guess water got in the switch and ####ed it up.

I know the power windows are responding because if I hold the button while trying to move it from the drivers side, the window wont respond, so obviously the problem is at the window lock switch. I can move it to unlock and lock but still nothing. I am going to open the door up later this week, but I can not figure out to take the whole damn thing off. There are two screws above the door handle, after that?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pull out those two screws, the rest of the panel is held on with body pins. All you do is pull around the edges of the panel and it should come right out, if it's held on there pretty good you can use a screwdriver to pry it off working your way around the edges. BTW, make sure you don't pull too hard because there are a couple of wires that go to the panel from the door and you don't want to rip those off.

Alright, now after I remove that panel, my next job would be getting to the switch and some how getting it to unlock position. it slides to unlock but it won't click the switch to unlock the windows. I can hear it click when I press lock.

You could either disassemble the switch, or purchase a new one. Someone here has pics of disassembling the switches when they changed the LED colors.

I believe what you're aiming to do here is not so much to "access the window lock switch" so much as to clean contacts inside the window switch or possibly glue up some broken plastic bits.

The switch isn't designed to be serviceable and the usual solution is to replace the switch. That said, if you have lots of time and are patient and and look at what you are doing you can probably open the switch, clean it up, and get it back together and working.

I believe what you're aiming to do here is not so much to "access the window lock switch" so much as to clean contacts inside the window switch or possibly glue up some broken plastic bits.

The switch isn't designed to be serviceable and the usual solution is to replace the switch. That said, if you have lots of time and are patient and and look at what you are doing you can probably open the switch, clean it up, and get it back together and working.
Yes, I can do this, I am free this whole week. I am going to either open the switch have to click to unlock and then remove the lock click, and just reinstall it back into the slot. That way, I wouldn't have to worry about it getting stuck again.

i took the door panel off && wiggled the wires && waa laaa- it works now.

I have the exact same problem as this guy, but wiggling the wires didn't help. Took apart the door - all connections look good. Any other suggestions?

forget the wiggling... get a meter and test the switch

Yep - no power. Found the broken wire in the door jamb, and after quite a bit of wrestling, it finally works!

Just inherited this truck from my sister - wonder how long she put up with this little problem...

Thanks for the help - great forum
:)

Back