Window Motor Question (Bushings OK!) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Window Motor Question (Bushings OK!)

Dan V.

Reaction score
City, State
East Granby, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I have a power window issue (not bushings). I thought that it might be the bushings since I could hear the motor going but the window didn't move. I pulled it all apart (as per 85Dave's outstanding thread) but the bushings are intact. I put it back together (just the cover over the gear) and plugged it back in. The worm gear turns what appears to be pretty fast, but the plastic gear seems slow. This could be normal, I've never done this before. I don't want to reassemble the whole door if the motor is shot. Any suggestions? Could it just be that the metal gear is not engaging the lift gear in the door?

Dan V.

Well, I fixed it. It turns out the existing motor was bad. After I'd tested it and noted that the gear appeared to moving, albeit slowly, I put it back in the door to test it again. Nothing. No clicks, hums, groans, nada. So, I went to AutoZone and bought a new one (Dorman) and it works like a charm.

One minor issue with the Dorman. The 3 holes that attach it to the door frame are unthreaded, unlike the OEM version. I had to go get 3 bolts and nylon-insert lock nuts to attach it.

I hope this helps someone else. My customer is very happy!

Dan V.

Oops! Belay that last comment!

When cleaning up, I found a small white paper packet in the part box that I had originally thought was silica gel. It turns out there were 3 self-tapping screws in it! D'oh!

Dan V.

Back