Window motors front rear the same? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Window motors front rear the same?

vq5speed

Reaction score
City, State
1991 XLT Manual Locks
Year, Model & Trim Level
Stockton,Ca
Are the window motor identical for Left front/rear and Right front/rear. So lets say the front left motor can be used on the left rear door? and same with the right side..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are different between front and rear, but mostly just in the housing - how they mount to the door frame. The guts inside are the same so you can take a working front/rear motor and swap everything over to the other housing. You could probably even drill new holes and get a front motor to mount on the rear door and a rear motor to mount on the front door, but it's probably not a good idea, or it'd be more work than swapping parts between a non-working motor and a working one.

The connectors are different right? I asked cause I was looking at new replacement motor for the left side rear I saw lots of them on ebay and it said Left-front/rear. But when you search for fronts you find some that only state for fronts only. So I looked at used front and rears for sale. They do look alike I know they mount differently but do look the same but I think the plug connector is different.

The connectors might be different, but even if they are, you can simply swap them if you don't want to cut/splice wires. Some aftermarket motors even come with several different wire and plug combos to fit lots of different model years, and you just plug in the one you need.

Looking at the motors even more, it seems the housings aren't different, the only difference between front and rear seems to be the gear that drives the regulator. The front has a 9-tooth star-shaped gear, the rear has a 6-tooth hex/spline-shaped gear.

My guess would be a front motor would work on the rear and a rear motor would work on the front if that gear was swapped out for the correct one.

The connectors might be different, but even if they are, you can simply swap them if you don't want to cut/splice wires. Some aftermarket motors even come with several different wire and plug combos to fit lots of different model years, and you just plug in the one you need.

Looking at the motors even more, it seems the housings aren't different, the only difference between front and rear seems to be the gear that drives the regulator. The front has a 9-tooth star-shaped gear, the rear has a 6-tooth hex/spline-shaped gear.

My guess would be a front motor would work on the rear and a rear motor would work on the front if that gear was swapped out for the correct one. The housing on the front has threaded holes to mount to regulator, and the back are through holes. All of the guts in the housing can be switched out to use in any door. You can even separate the motor housing from the gear housing and reuse it, just pay attention to the brushes.

Back