• Register Today It's free!

Window partially opens and sticks

Dave98XLT

Reaction score
City, State
VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 4WD 4.0 SOC
My driver's side window opens about an inch and a half and then sticks. It needs manual help to open further but closes without a problem. It seems like it is hanging up in the track on the way down.

Is this a clean and lubricate type of problem or is something worn or broken?

Ford 98 Explorer XLT 4WD SOHC
-------------------------------

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had this issue a while back. The track has an adjustment you can make. Take the door panel off and there is a nut for the rear track. Loosen it some then roll window down then tighten nut. This should solve the problem.

Hope this helps

ford_67

Sir, you are correct.

Loosening this bolt allows adjusting the track angle to reduce the pressure of the glass against weatherstripping. This pressure was making it hang up. The window rolls down fine now.

I also sprayed the regulator liberally with wd-40 and this seemed to help even more.

Thanks for the great tip!

I have the same exact problem... argggh

Can you indulge me and post a picture of this mysterious nut that needs adjusting?!

Thanks!

Hi, I tried to take a picture but it didn't save on my cell phone.

However if you remove the inner door panel, it is the lower back bolt on the inside of the door. It is 11mm and when loose allows the rear track to move slightly. If I recall correctly loosening, and moving this bolt all the way forward ( a few mm) and then tightening, relieves the track pressure enough to free up the window.

Don't forget to lube everything with wd-40 while you have the panel off.

Back