• Register Today It's free!

@$#&% window smashing thieves

damarble

Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
21 Bronco & 88 Bronco II
They had to break not one but two windows, middle and rear driver side on my 91 Sport. I'm currently digging through threads trying to find replacement tips.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry to here about that. Jealous people....karma

The Sport's middle wing window is really easy to replace. Just undo the latch and it pretty much pops out I believe.

Door windows will be a little trickier but still very doable. You should be able to find good replacement glass in a parts yard. Keep in mind the Sport windows are different from the 4 door models.

They left the door window alone. Looks like they smashed the wing window to reach the door lock thinking they'd hit the power locks and access the rear. After finding manual locks they then broke the rear side window to get the stuff in the back.

There's 32 Explorers between the two yards but they don't specify 2 or 4 door. There has to be at least one 2 door in that bunch.

What kind of goop do they seal the rear window with?

That I don't know. Try a search, if you can't find the info here or online, ask some glass replacement companies. I think the rear side glass can be mostly removed by unbolting it but not sure.

Sorry to hear about the damage , I do believe that the rear cargo side windows are bolt on with a seal , But I could be wrong there , Out of that many parts explorer's in the yard , I would make sure that they are from a first gen though .

The rear side window are bolt on. Dunno what seal to use though. Have have fun with taking out the panel.
The flip-out window seems to be glued into the nudge. Unscrew the latch, then try to carefully pull it out.

Sorry to hear about the ¥@$&*%

The rear windows bolt in and seal with a butyl rope seal. I forget what size but I've got the box from when I did mine still. I'll try and remember to look tomorrow when I get out to the shed.

There is a several threads on here talking about it. Probably find it by searching for leaking cargo windows as it's a fairly common issue.

Thanks guys.

The rear windows bolt in and seal with a butyl rope seal. I forget what size but I've got the box from when I did mine still. I'll try and remember to look tomorrow when I get out to the shed.

There is a several threads on here talking about it. Probably find it by searching for leaking cargo windows as it's a fairly common issue.

If you could post the size on here that'd be awesome. Mine was leaking and I used to big of a seal so the window doesn't leak... But it hangs out a little to.

OP atleast they broke the easiest windows to replace? If that makes it any better. When you're replacing them make sure the tint matches. Never know if somebody had their windows retinted. And I think 98+ is a darker tint

Forgot I started a thread on it when I had the issue. Click Me

I used 5/16 butyl I got from Napa as some said 1/4 could work but it might fail faster and others said 3/8 but it would push the window out more. So I went in between and after almost 3yrs it's holding fine.

I used 1/4 and it was plenty thick, the window still stuck out a hair, but it was also very cold out so it was stiff. I brought in a little chunk of my old stuff to match up.

It was a pretty easy job, working with a friend we had it done in a couple hours.

Back