• Register Today It's free!

window stuck down

stew17

Reaction score
City, State
Bel Air, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Eddie Bauer
Alright this is my first post. My 1993 Explorer 4-door front passenger window has been working fine, one day it made a grinding noise going down and would not go back up. These are power windows, there is no noise coming from the window motor when the switch is pushed, and all the other windows work fine. Since there is no noise coming from the motor, does that mean the motor is the problem? Also My Chilton manual doesn't show any instruction on the window motor itself. Any info would be great thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if it made a grinding noise before it stopped yeah its probably the motor but it could be the window somehow got off track and the motor wedged the glass and got it stuck when you last lowered the window. The first thing i would do is take the door panel apart and see what things look like inside there. Also The haynes manual doesnt really have motor instructions just for the regulator.

take the door panel off and get a rod or pipe just something with a lil weight behind it. give the motor a good tap WHILE holding the button to raise the window. if this works you need to replace the motor. i did this for a month or two cuz the motor was random on working and finally got tired of whacking the door panel with my hand or if that didnt work id take panel off and tap motor and finally just replaced the motor.....now my drivers side is going out lol

As everyone else has stated, pull panel off. see if you can get the window to go up by hand at all. Inspect everything look for the obvious. get a test light and look to see if you are getting power to the motor when the switch is pressed.

Ok thanks, now to take out the window motor does the window glass and regulator have to come out as well?

i'm new here too, and you might want to make sure it is actually the motor before you spring to replace them. i replaced both my passenger and driver motors because both windows had gotten stuck down. this worked for maybe a month and now both windows are stuck down again. replacing the motors is not too terrible so long as you leave the regulator in though. from what i've read this is pretty common and i guess usually it has to do with wiring?

Thanks to everybody who replied to this post, I ended up needing a new window motor.

Back