Window Switches and rear child safefy locks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Window Switches and rear child safefy locks

GearheadJLM

Reaction score
City, State
Jville NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Explorer XLT 4.0L 4x4
1997 Explorer 4 Door, SOHC 4.0L, 4wd

Well I wanted to know if this is a common problem. All windows work fine from the drivers window switch, but none from any of the passenger switches. Also my power lock doesn't work on the drivers door. don't think that they are related but those are my issues. Where should I start with solving this problem? Another issue I have is that you cannot open my rear doors from the inside, regardless of the child safety lock position.

Is this stuff common?

Thank you,

Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rear door opening could very well be the interior handles. I have that exact problem now. I need two new handles.

Don't mean to offend you, but have you unlocked your window locks switch?

Drivers power lock, more than likely a broken wire in the Black drum in between the door and frame.

ires break in there all the time.

I have the same problem with my power windows. I recently took off my driver and passenger front door panel to replace speakers and I replaced my head unit at the same time. I wonder if that has anything to do with it? I did all this over a week ago and didn't notice it till yesterday when I had passenger for the first time since the work was done, my girlfriend tried to roll her window down and it wouldn't work from her side, I checked window locks and no success only would function from driver switches. I then realized both rear pass windows don't roll down unless I use the drivers switches. But my all the locking switches work???????

Same here .. subscribing!!!

Rear door opening could very well be the interior handles. I have that exact problem now. I need two new handles.

Don't mean to offend you, but have you unlocked your window locks switch?

Yes I have, no offense taken. There are many links that could cause this. That switch in itself being bad could be one. I have very little time to test and search, that's why I came on here to see if there's a particular casue that I can at least start with.

Does your interior handle kinda stick out a little, if so the handle is bad...the handle is pretty much 100% plastic and teeth break on them really easy. That is most likely the problem, happened to both my rear doors but an easy fix....Now when the exterior handles break that is a *****

Those interior handles are about $15 from Ford, front and rear are the same part.

I'd get the LF master switch panel out to check the power for the other three windows. Those are powered by the same wire, which comes from the LF switch, red/blue I believe. Check for power at that wire on the switch, it's controlled by the long switch. If it gets power, then check that wire in the LF door jamb area. Look between the connector and the left kick panel, that's the common location for a break of a wire. Welcome,

Yeah your probably right because it just happened when i took my panel off so i must have knocked something loose. Thanks for the info...i didn't know the LF controlled the rest.

Back