• Register Today It's free!

Window tint for '02 Explorer

sharpshooter73

Reaction score
City, State
God's Green Earth
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLS 4X4
I have an '02 Explorer and as you well know the rear window and rear passenger windows are tinted from the factory. I want to tint the front 2 windows that weren't tinted. Does anyone know what percentage they come from the factory? I want to match the fronts to the remaining as close as possible. Summer is coming and I want to have this done soon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A hopeful help to your question....

I too have a 2002 explorer, I did do a bit of research on your question... With a resounding maybe, all I found was an abstract statement on some webpage that said that is was 35% on the rear windows.... Just make sure to "comply" with state tint laws if ya care... I sure don't.... Most tint shops would test your window for free or know off their books in the shop...

yup watch local laws.... no need to get pulled over for some stupid crap..... here in CA you arent allowed to have any tint on the front windows....

Yup, in Virginia we aren't suppose to have anything on our front windows - but I've passed tons of State Cops without a problem. Most people find 20% to be the most similar to stock tint percentage. 15% is what I have upfront on my windows - but I have 5% Limo on the back, so it makes the front windows look a lot darker at angels. 20% would probably look good, and not excessively dark. I wish I went with a higher percentage in the back, I can't see much at night when backing up and when cars are coming up on me they just look like floating headlights. Hope that helps somehow.

-Drew

ps- Tint Shops will put anything on windows for money. The guy I went to said that 35% should be the least noticeable and shouldn't get anyone in a SUV in trouble. So thats from a professional.

Thanks for the help, I was thinking it had to be either 35% or 20%. Florida doesn't seem to be so strict on tint, unless it's less than 20% up front - If I recall. I don't want it too dark so I can't see, and I want it to match the rest of the windows as close as possible. But I do think that Ford picked the right amount to do the backs. I drive alot of highway miles and in Florida, you can get a nice suntan just from driving! I'll have to take it to a tint shop and see what they recommend.

Back