Window Tint | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Window Tint

what is a reasonable tint %? Not too dark, so i wont get pulled over(illegal, but not too illegal), but light enough where i can see at night. Also, whats a price range for all windows including back and windwshield?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

probably 35% would be a good range. not sure on pricing because i just did it myself. it took a 3 or 4 rolls of tint.

20% has worked for me over the years (8 vehicles tinted completely). just remember that if u place it on a illegal area, that ur exploder will not pass inspection. if u get pulled over for a traffic violation, it will be another fine, and if ur in an accident, it could be ruled to be ur fault due to window tint. 35% is way too light, hardly noticeable and does not block sun light very well. with this said, i use 20 on front doors and 5% the rest of the way back. :exp:

it depends on state law. i think here in california anything past drivers door can be any darkness but drivers door has to be no more than30% or something like that. and no more than 4 inchs of tint on windsheild(not sure darkness). but thats my 2cents

35% is way too light during the day. 30% is a bit too light during the day. I put 30% on my front doors since it is legal here in CO.

95exploderrr said:
(illegal, but not too illegal), Thanks

I dont understand that part.

Either they are gonna bust your chops or they arent.

That said 35% is a decent choice. Legal too ( at least here in Maryland )

32 sides, 22 back, do not tint the windshield,JMO

lycan91 said:
it depends on state law. i think here in california anything past drivers door can be any darkness but drivers door has to be no more than30% or something like that. and no more than 4 inchs of tint on windsheild(not sure darkness). but thats my 2cents

Yup, see what the state law is, go into a reputable shop and they will tell you.

i had 5% on the back windows, with a big 5% brow and 20% front. all front window tint in Illinois is illegal. i've never been pulled over for it, and when i have been pulled over, nothing was said about it. Window tint is usually an excuse to pull you over because they either think you're hiding something, or they just want to see who the hell is driving it, at least in my experience.

oh, and it was perfectly fine to see out at night, and during the day you could see a shadow from the outside, but couldn't make out any features. nighttime, you couldn't see crap. but it was $200 for all the tint with a lifetime warrantee for peeling, fading, bubbles, etc.

i got double layer 5% all around my ex.. with an 8 inch strip on the windsheild.. wanna put 35% on the whole thing tho because you can see thru it. and i dont like that.. i can see fine.. oh yeah and by the way it is WAY beyond legal % allowed in louisiana! :)

I dont understand that part.

Either they are gonna bust your chops or they arent.

That said 35% is a decent choice. Legal too ( at least here in Maryland )

Well I understand what he is saying. In PA no % is legal but over the last 10 years I have always used 35% and never been busted. So its illegal but not too illegal HAHA

Hey got hit with a $75 dollar fine for my tint job. I had 1% light coming through the windows but was told here in Minnesota that 50% is whats legal here for the front windows no tint on the windshield. This was on my F-150 that I had.

I had 1% light coming through the windows

I think your fine should have been higher. 1% is basicly no light and you could have just painted your windows. Windows this dark is why everyone gets hit with tint laws

I have my front windows tinted to match the back, so it is the same all over.
I have yet to be stopped at anytime so far.

i tinted 5 all around and on the windshield, and with 5% on stock tinting, it made the back darker than limo tint, which sucked ass during the night

I think your fine should have been higher.

It was higher but i got it lowered cause although i worked by a cop shop they never said anything in the 2+ years i had the tint on.

i got 5 on front, 5 on back over factory, and 50 on windshield, had no probs with cops and i love it...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back