Window Tint

Blacksheep Josh

Slinky+Escalator=Fun
Reaction score
City, State
Statesboro, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Ford Ranger, RIP 93 X
I've been looking around and getting different opinions because I've been wanting to tint my front windows, but as you know we have that "bronze tint" on the rears. so regular tint woudl look kind of goofy.

This is what I've been thinking, and yes it sounds foolish, but I think it could work:

what if i placed a very light tint on the outside of the rear windows? it would look black and cover the bronzish enough so I could put regular tint on the front to match?

i know there's a chance of peeling but if applied right i would think it'd work pretty good.

either that or try getting clear glass from the junkyard to replace it with.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would worry about uv detoriation if applied on the out side,most likelly the tint film it's self is rated to with stand a certain level of uv rays but i would think that protection factor is only rated while it's appied on the inside of the vehicle,the glass also gives a certain level of uv protection i would think .so if put on the out side i'm betting that after a short while of rain ,heat,humidity etc... it will start to shrink and bubble off the glass ...then theres cleaning it can scratch very easy.

i forget what g.a. tint laws are ( i think 32-35 % ...dont quote me tho) .have you thought about photoreactive tint ?? darkens in the day time and then gets lighter the darker it gets ? cool stuff i think.

josh I don't know where you live or the weather there, but outside tint would not work here in Michigan. It would get damaged with scraping the ice off.

josh I don't know where you live or the weather there, but outside tint would not work here in Michigan. It would get damaged with scraping the ice off.

yeah, after more consideration, i think the best route will be getting clear glass from the junkyard, and then tinting all those so they match.

have you thought about photoreactive tint ?? darkens in the day time and then gets lighter the darker it gets ? cool stuff i think.

that's just like the transition lenses people have with glasses? i've always wondered if they've brought it to the autos, i'd love that. guess i'll look into it.

What kind of bronze tint do you have on your windows or is it that reflective chrome type tint? Do you have any pics? I think my factory tint was that color too because it was old and faded but I applied tint to the inside and you cant even tell anymore.

What kind of bronze tint do you have on your windows or is it that reflective chrome type tint? Do you have any pics? I think my factory tint was that color too because it was old and faded but I applied tint to the inside and you cant even tell anymore.

It's hard to capture right now, starting to get dark. i'll try to get a picture tomorrow morning before i head out.

it's really reflective, i call it bronze, but it might be the other. someone at a shop said something about laying a layer of 50% tint on the inside, but if the glass itself is tinted that would've even make a difference.

Believe it or not, but if you apply tint from the inside, your rear windows will look black.
did that on both of my trucks and it looks great!

I'd just suggest tinting the rear windows on the inside, and seeing how it looks. If not, you could pick up some clear glass.

To test the theory just get some of the cheap walmart DIY tint and try it. The tint in my 94 is black not the bronze stuff, so just guessing. But it would be a cheap way to test it for effect rather than pay a tint guy. If it works to your liking then peel it and have the tint guy do the whole job.

Believe it or not, but if you apply tint from the inside, your rear windows will look black.
did that on both of my trucks and it looks great!

you have the bronzish tint then? and not regular factory tint?

here's what i'm dealing with on the rear windows:
29xg87n.jpg

dont know if that helps at all.

you know, some peopl ecomplain about fading and all, and i've seen them, but all of my glass is in pretty kickass condition. only imperfection is that my driver side glass is sitting in my backseat (that's why it's missing in the pic). window regulator broke and it was to hot to not have it down, so i just jiggled it till it came unglued, and pulled it out lol

thats reflective glass, not bronze. just put 5% or whatever you want on it (the INSIDE, where youre supposed to) and then do 20% in the front

I think its still going to be reflective looking even with the black tint on the inside and then your gonna have reflective on the back and black on the front. And tint on the outsied isnt going to hold up to the weather, car washes, and its not going to look good it'll be dull looking.

so if i'm going to get it all evened out i might as well start searching for clear glass from the junkyard. i agree with 91, if i tint the inside, and the glass itself is reflective, there's no point in tinting it.

Yep junkyard it is unless you want to tint the front windows relfective as well. See if your windows were that goldish bronze color, then you could do the black tint and not be able to tell it was bronze before.

I went and talked to a tint shop today. This guy is supposed to be the best in Augusta, guy's name is Steven. He said I have two options. The first options is the same we've talked about which is exchanging the glass for clear and then letting him tint it. Or he said he's figured out how to put tint on it that will match almost perfect. He said he lays down two layers of tint film, one chrome and one bronze, and it'll match the reflectiveness of it. He said it'll cost $100.00 even, which is the front two windows and the strip on the windshield.

Depending on the cost of glass at a junkyard I may just go ahead and let him tint it the way he mentioned. Guess I'll just go to the junkyard and take a look around.

As for darkness, I just want it even. I hate looking at cars and it being 5% in the back, and 30% in the front, or 5% in the back and nothing up front. Just looks ghetto in my opinion.

Next stop: Pull-a-Part Salvage Yard

I'm not sure of the tint laws over there but most people do that cuz its illegal to have darker than 35? on the front windows

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well i put 20% on all the windows and i dont see any differenct in any of the windows. the all look black wich is the color i used to me any other color tint on a white exploder would not look good. and the factory tint on the rear windows was not an option. but if you worried abbout it get the 80% bronze tint for the first coat the make it and it will match up with any factory tint.

Back